Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Steering Deer with natural barrier materials >

Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Just curious if anyone else has tried this. I have a favorite stand tree that is just right to be wrong, its in a killer location, i see a ton of deer from it, killed my Doe from it this season, and its bordered on three sides of some heavy cover. Here is the kicker, there is only one tree sutible for a stand with the wind direction, the rest are either to little or in the wrong place, however im a little far back from where the deer cut through the corner of it. The bucks tend to hang real tight to the cover naturaly and it puts them just out of range, (the bigger ones anyway ) the Dinksseem toalways walk within shooting range SO i went in today, drug some dead trees and some brush and built a natural barrier to get the deer within 25 yards of my tree, sort of necking them around it a bit. Im hoping i went in early enough so they will get used to it and establish a new travel route Hoping i did not screw up a good area
I could not help but walk another 300 yards to the new location i arrowed my buck from this year the first time in. Its just set up so perfect, on one side is a nasty thicket with a huge oak tree that has fallen towards my stand making the funnel tighter, the other side is a creek bed, behind me is a bedding area, and in front of me 100 yards is a corn field. Thoughts on building natural barriers guys???
Old 01-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Steering Deer with natural barriers

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Just curious if anyone else has tried this. I have a favorite stand tree that is just right to be wrong, its in a killer location, i see a ton of deer from it, killed my Doe from it this season, and its bordered on three sides of some heavy cover. Here is the kicker, there is only one tree sutible for a stand with the wind direction, the rest are either to little or in the wrong place, however im a little far back from where the deer cut through the corner of it. The bucks tend to hang real tight to the cover naturaly and it puts them just out of range, (the bigger ones anyway ) the Dinksseem toalways walk within shooting range SO i went in today, drug some dead trees and some brush and built a natural barrier to get the deer within 25 yards of my tree, sort of necking them around it a bit. Im hoping i went in early enough so they will get used to it and establish a new travel route Hoping i did not screw up a good area
I could not help but walk another 300 yards to the new location i arrowed my buck from this year the first time in. Its just set up so perfect, on one side is a nasty thicket with a huge oak tree that has fallen towards my stand making the funnel tighter, the other side is a creek bed, behind me is a bedding area, and in front of me 100 yards is a corn field. Thoughts on building natural barriers guys???
I've done it quite a few times. I've gone so far as to drop trees to make them walk in a certain area.

This summer, I have an area I'm planning to put up about 50 yards of barbed wire just to steer them off a specific shelf and infront of a certain stand (Nanny Whacker), Rob I'm sure knows what I'm talking about and why I'm doing it there.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen this work on some occasions as long as you don't squeeze them too much. Ifyou box them inthey may go the opposite direction you're looking for.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know some folks who use wire

I tend to move some brush around, I have had where they have walked the wrong way around it[&:]
Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

well you guys are making me feel better about doing this I guess time will tell, like Oct. I almost got a shot at a mid 130"sbuck from this location in 2006, he was a little far for me,and shot a limbshooting at a115" buck the same year that was 28 yards [:@]Its one of those locations that the Does are thick and the bucks will eventually come looking for a girlfriend
Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

This same tactic works excellent with shooting bear at a bait also!! Put the logs or brush up in a spot so they have to come around the way you want them too, works great!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

It works well in reverse, too.

When there were no cattle in my landowner's pasture.....I'd keep the upper gate opened.

A deer will most often take the path of least resistance.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I have never heard of using natural barriers before, sounds like a good concept. I have heard of using human hair in certin places to funnel deer towards your stand.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

never dont it, but i hear it works great!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Site Buck Guru

Using natural materials to build a barrier, it is still a man-made barrier.A natural barrier would be something like a sheer drop off like a cliff. Semantics aside, any barrier you use will work. It depends on how much work you are willing to doand if it is permissable for you to do. A couple of pros and cons..... Natural material barriers will blend in better and may be overlooked by humans. They will break down and become a non-factor for the deer.

A length of woven wire fencing will really funnel the deer and won't break down. This won't bother the deer at all, but it will catch the eye of humans and they may investigate the reason for its being.

Personally, if I could I'd use the fencing. If I was on public land I'd use natural materials.

Quick Reply: Steering Deer with natural barrier materials

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.