Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The best part of it all...Part2 >

The best part of it all...Part2

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The best part of it all...Part2

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Default The best part of it all...Part2

The other day I posted a thread about the best part of the whole bowhunting thing is when a buck that you want to shoot has to make a decision wether or not to walk your way or the other. And you just don't know what he's going to do. and then he does it. well, I will add that the second best part is the trailing. Not the trailing part from the beginning, but the last bit of the trailing, that last few steps of bright red buckets of blood.... it's almost like you want the suspense to keep going, to keep the thought of just a few more feet or yds and he should bedown, the he's gotta be close with bloodlike that.. and then...there he is!! you put your hands onhim for the first time. It's that last few seconds of not knowing if he's around the next tree or not, with good blood leading the way, it's as if you almost don't want to find him so quickly, but you want to keep that good blood trail and feeling of anticipation going.......man.. that sure does rattle my cage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The best part of it all...Part2

I can relate to you on this one!! I hate short bloodtrails but not mine.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know fellas, you know that feeling you get when you watch one run about 40 yards then stumble then fall over, thats a pretty good feeling to me also.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Yeh Schultz I know you see me, eye to eye on this one!! killadoe, i feel ya too, that is really a good feeling to know they are down for the count and there is no doubt about the hit.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

If they all fell in sight for me from now on......I'd be happy.

Brknarrow (Frank) shot a doe....hunting here with me in November. We trailed that girl in the dark for a long time......on our hands and knees for a lot of it.

I admit to us both being a little emotional when we laid eyes on her. I'll never forget that one. Tracking is something I hope to get better at......but wish I didn't have to.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:47 AM

I dunno, the only buck I've ever shot fell right where I shot him. I had no anticipation, cause there was no tracking.

I will say though, that I did successfully track my first deer this past season. A week after I shot my buck I shot a doe, and she ran 60 yards. Tracking her, and walking up on her, was an incredible feeling. I've shot 1 deer w/ my bow that I didn't recover, but all others have fallen in sight. No tracking required.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Brknarrow (Frank) shot a doe....hunting here with me in November. We trailed that girl in the dark for a long time......on our hands and knees for a lot of it.

I admit to us both being a little emotional when we laid eyes on her. I'll never forget that one. Tracking is something I hope to get better at......but wish I didn't have to.
Why do you say that? Thats a crude statement GMMAT! A good hunter gun or bow isn't a great hunter because he can shoot big game animals. He's a great hunter because he can do all the above, hunting, shooting, etc, and yes tracking!! Bloodtrailing is one of the most important things for a hunter to learn and its often most of the time not learned at all!! Good hits can mean long tracking adventures, not just bad hits.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Tracking is something I hope to get better at......but wish I didn't have to.
Schultzy....for some reason you're taking this out of context.

If every one of my deer.....from now on.....went down in sight....I'd be happy.

Now read that, again....keeping the context in which I intended in mind.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

WOW Jeff you seem to have that problem today!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why do you say that? Thats a crude statement GMMAT! A good hunter gun or bow isn't a great hunter because he can shoot big game animals. He's a great hunter because he can do all the above, hunting, shooting, etc, and yes tracking!! Bloodtrailing is one of the most important things for a hunter to learn and its often most of the time not learned at all!! Good hits can mean long tracking adventures, not just bad hits.
I think his point was just that he would like them all to fall in sight, resulting in no need to track them,not that he really doesn't want to be a good tracker.

I am colorblind so I hate tracking deer and doing it by myself is a LONG adventure because even with what a regular color vision person would call a pool of blood I can't see unless it is right under my nose. I mean that literally. I trail on my hands and knees and look more for turned leaves, etc than blood. I want them all to go down within sight.

Quick Reply: The best part of it all...Part2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.