Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats Wrong With Hunting Today? >

Whats Wrong With Hunting Today?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats Wrong With Hunting Today?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats Wrong With Hunting Today?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I wish every buck grew a 150" rack at 1.5 years old and 150" was the maximum that antlers could grow. Maybe we as deer hunters would not be so competitive with one another over land, meaning easier access for everyone.
Interesting. But we'd (us hunters) still find a way (age.....pounds....SOMETHING) to see who's pissin furthest up the wall.
And that is EXACTLY what is wrong with hunting today... were all tryin to "Piss further up the wall."

Human nature i guess, and as long as im having fun i dont care who's pissin further.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM

I agree with greenboy. New York is way screwed up. They keep saying that they are going to lower it but I know it will never happen. That is just the way are state it is. I wish they would lower so more kids would get involved.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I could change one thing in Pa,I would allow SUNDAY hunting!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

MANDATORY that your job HAS to give ALL BOWHUNTERS off WORK the whole month of NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM

Every kid is diffferent but I believe most if given a chance and taught correctly would develop confidence, problem solving skills, love of the outdoors, spending time with there parents with no TV or games. I know my daughter does she is 8 and took her first deer this year. We shot all summer seeing her grow and achieve little milestone had me sticking out the ole chest a little. Its amazing what they can do with guidance and confidence.

Something i like to see change get ridof all thehigh gadgets that we all love and get back to hunting.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

YUP, I grew up in NY. It just killed me when my older brothers headed off to deer hunt. I was like Christine, ran a trap line for years while in school. BUT... I did grow up in the sticks so I was into shooting and killing critters at an early age. I was hunting alone with the 22 when I was 8. Got my own shotgun at 12 with trapping money. Before I got it I had to take turns with my next older brother. Was it legal for us to be out there. Not according to NY law, but that was the life style at that time.. 55 or so years ago. We just did it with the graces of mom and dad who appreciated the extra meat we brought home. Partridge, rabbits and an occasional pheasant were welcome additions to the larder. We hunted every day that the seasons were open. Deer season was different. It wasn't like shootinga bunny. In my family you couldn't go until you got the legal license for that. We did abide by seasons and all that. Just weren't old enough to legally hunt. I got caught once when I was 12 out shooting woodchucks. He drove me home and said to my folks, you know he isn't suppose to be doing this. Keep him out of the fields by the roads. LOL
Great Post!!! I think it's just a completely different world now.

Now as to what is wrong with hunting, I agree, it's the $$$$$$. I lost my first property that I'd hunted for YEARS to a lease this year. I understand the old farmer is in need of money, fixed income and all, and has an opportunity to make a few $$$, leasing out his land, but I just hate that it happens. I think Texas is probably the WORST state for all of the damned leases, and guys don't have much public land to hunt on down there. I've heard many guys talking of paying well over $1000 just to have a place to hunt!!! That's SAD!!!! If I was in such a position, I'd MOVE to another state that offered plenty of public hunting and very few leases. When a guy can BUY his big B&C buck, while the rest of us have to HUNT for them, there is a problem in hunting. I don't like FEEDERS, I don't like the HIGH-FENCE RANCHES, and I really don't particularly care for LEASES either, though I know they are often times good for landowners needing to make ends meet.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greenboy

Alright this has probably been done before but here we go, If you could change one thing about the hunting industry, or regulations what would it be?

Mine would be that i would standardize the age limits for hunting of all kinds to 12 years old no matter what the gear whether it be small, or large game and with any type of weapon, bow or rifle.
Some kids are ready to hunt at age 8, and others aren't at age 16. It should be upto the parent/guardian and not the state.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I was running some traps and killing small game with my bow when I was 10 years old. No parent needed.

I was the same way growing up hunting. Once I was trusted I was turned loose to hunt all of the surrounding farm land, but in this day and age I couldn't bring myself to give my children that freedom. Our wonderful hunting world has been invaded by meth labs and dope patches. I would hate to let a child of mine beplaced in that situation without me there. It is sad but true state. I quit hunting southern Ohio (Meigs county) until after the first heavy frost. I was 16 hunting paper company land and walked into a "weed" patch complete with camo netting. It scared me out of those woods.

Back to the original question, I hate the role money has taken in hunting. The outfitters have invaded Ohio and I have lost some wonderful hunting spots in Licking county.

I'll also throw in jealous so called hunting buddies. You know the guys who say you killed my deer, get ticked when anybody else kills a deer, or constantly say it would have been a great deer next season.

My rant is over.

Tom

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: davidmil

YUP, I grew up in NY. It just killed me when my older brothers headed off to deer hunt. I was like Christine, ran a trap line for years while in school. BUT... I did grow up in the sticks so I was into shooting and killing critters at an early age. I was hunting alone with the 22 when I was 8. Got my own shotgun at 12 with trapping money. Before I got it I had to take turns with my next older brother. Was it legal for us to be out there. Not according to NY law, but that was the life style at that time.. 55 or so years ago. We just did it with the graces of mom and dad who appreciated the extra meat we brought home. Partridge, rabbits and an occasional pheasant were welcome additions to the larder. We hunted every day that the seasons were open. Deer season was different. It wasn't like shootinga bunny. In my family you couldn't go until you got the legal license for that. We did abide by seasons and all that. Just weren't old enough to legally hunt. I got caught once when I was 12 out shooting woodchucks. He drove me home and said to my folks, you know he isn't suppose to be doing this. Keep him out of the fields by the roads. LOL
Great Post!!! I think it's just a completely different world now.

Now as to what is wrong with hunting, I agree, it's the $$$$$$. I lost my first property that I'd hunted for YEARS to a lease this year. I understand the old farmer is in need of money, fixed income and all, and has an opportunity to make a few $$$, leasing out his land, but I just hate that it happens. I think Texas is probably the WORST state for all of the damned leases, and guys don't have much public land to hunt on down there. I've heard many guys talking of paying well over $1000 just to have a place to hunt!!! That's SAD!!!! If I was in such a position, I'd MOVE to another state that offered plenty of public hunting and very few leases. When a guy can BUY his big B&C buck, while the rest of us have to HUNT for them, there is a problem in hunting. I don't like FEEDERS, I don't like the HIGH-FENCE RANCHES, and I really don't particularly care for LEASES either, though I know they are often times good for landowners needing to make ends meet.
1000 bucks in Texas, It must be a parking lot. All the land around me is going for a minimum of 2000 for 100 achrs a year. My uncle pays 1500 a year for 200 achers and feels he is getting a heck of a deal. I have had people offer me up to 5000 to hunt my land. I aint going to do it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

ORIGINAL: greenboy

Alright this has probably been done before but here we go, If you could change one thing about the hunting industry, or regulations what would it be?

Mine would be that i would standardize the age limits for hunting of all kinds to 12 years old no matter what the gear whether it be small, or large game and with any type of weapon, bow or rifle.
Some kids are ready to hunt at age 8, and others aren't at age 16. It should be upto the parent/guardian and not the state.
You know how the age thing got socrazy. No parents. I know kids in my area that shouldnt be let out the door, much less have a fire arm, yet the parents let them run all over town, at all hours and dont care if they have a gun or not. We have to face it, bad parents ruin it for the rest of us. So the state has to come in and set these crazy rules to protect us from the idiot parents that do nothing with their kids and teach them nothing about hunting.

Quick Reply: Whats Wrong With Hunting Today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.