Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Problems with hunt leases as a whole... >

Problems with hunt leases as a whole...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problems with hunt leases as a whole...

Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Problems with hunt leases as a whole...

I hear stories all the time about land being picked up by a few people and companies for the exclusive rights to hunt. How much of a problem is this becoming; is it becoming more crowded in the public areas? Are the huntable land getting harder to get access? I know here in Canada it is starting to be more prevalent, the only saviour is the huge amounts of Crown land still available.

The reason that I am asking is that I may be relocating to the south (U.S.) and because I can get work in almost every state, I am looking at the hunting side of the equation. I have friends in Wyoming (Big Horn) and they tell me unless youve been in the area for generations, good luck obtaining permission to hunt.[/align]
Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Problems with hunt leases as a whole...

I would say it would depend on the state. In Missouri there are thousands of acres of public land to choose from and the Dept. of Conservationis still buyng more.On the other hand, the part of Illinois I grew upin isbeing totally bought up by outfitters.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Tx you pay or hunt the little bit of crowded public land available.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

In Tx you pay or hunt the little bit of crowded public land available.

Thats what I am afraid of...and those leases are none too cheap!
So if I am to head to the U.S. to work I need to find a state with plenty of public land. Here in Canada we're spoiled that way...lots and lots of land and no population.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Colorado has millions upon millions ofacres ofpublic national forest and wilderness to hunt deer, elk, sheep, goats, pronghorn, and other animalsand they also have ranching for wildlife, and other programs where the state effectively "leases" land from land owners for the public to hunt deer, upland birds, etc....
Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Colorado a great choice, one I could have made two years ago but family kept me here. Idaho has tons of public land too if I remember right.

Another problem with leasing is if an outfitter or another individual ups the bid later on, possibly more than you can financially find feasible.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

You have a better chance of getting a free trip to the moon than findinguntouched public land in IL! And good luck finding unclaimed ($$$) territory in IL as well! It is getting very tough in IL and the DNR nor the politicians care! very limited public ground around here. good luck though!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM

It is happening here on a smaller scale...much smaller, thank god!

It makes it hard for the common Joe to go hunting and to get his children involved.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

For sure!

ORIGINAL: musky_xl

It makes it hard for the common Joe to go hunting and to get his children involved.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

I live in PA and there are more and more farms going to leasing. That being said, I still believe the saving grace to hunting is getting permission to hunt the old fashioned way. If you buy your way in now you better be ready to keep adding the money to the pot down the raod to keep it. I hate to see it go to a rich mans sport!

Quick Reply: Problems with hunt leases as a whole...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.