Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help w/ arrow length/spine... >

Help w/ arrow length/spine...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help w/ arrow length/spine...

Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Default Help w/ arrow length/spine...

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have been shooting about 2 yrs now. I shoot a Bear trx 32 @ 65 lbs. Draw length is 29". I use a mechanical release with a string loop. Currently shooting Easton ST Epic 300's cut to 30 1/4" (this was advised from tech support from where i ordered the arrows). for broadheads I shoot G5 Montec 100's. I use a whiskar biskut rest. ---Hopefully everything technical you need to help me with[8D]

My question or concern is...at full draw my arrows stick out from the front of the biskut about 1 3/4" before the broadhead... is this too long?...

Second...if I cut the arrows shorter, I assume I will gain a little speed...but is the spine going to be too heavy as i feel they may be already....

Any suggestions?..I really don't want to spend another $70-$100 on new arrows....Help?[&o]

Any other info needed please pm me or post and i'll try to update...thnx

Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Help w/ arrow length/spine...

300 series arrow are pretty stiff for any 65 lb. bow. Most charts would suggest that, with 100 gr. heads,you would shoot a 340 series if the shafts are left longer (29"); and even a 400 series if the arrow was fairly short. 65 lbs, for archers with normal draw lengths, is kind of a teetering point between the 340 and 400 Easton shafts. Go down about three pounds and you are spot on for a 400 series, or go up about three pounds for the 340's. You can obviously cut the shafts shorter to increase stiffness, or increase head weight to decrease shaft stiffness.

With your shafts cut to over 30", I would suspect there is quite a bit of arrow hanging past your Whisker Biscuit. This doesn't hurt anything - other making the arrow a little heavier than a short one - and in your case makes the overly stiff shaft more flexible. So I wouldn't cut it. And I would think about cranking the bow up to 70 lbs and/or going to 125 gr heads to try to mitigate the fact that you bought too stiff of an arrow in the first place.