Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any advice on filming hunts ?

1. The camera man should never talk in the video, in fact, no one should talk if they are not in the visual of the camera itself.

2. The shot/impact is the most important aspect of the video. Concentrate on that. You may or will miss shot opportunities because the animal is not right, listen for the cameramans instructions.

3. Be very careful at cut aways, don't fake them too damn much that's so obvious, makes for a poor video.

4. Pan and zoom slowly.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny, I just replied to a post about watching videos. Ive been trying to video for the past few seaons, all I can say is its not as easy as it looks, so many variables that can pop up. I dont have any affiliation with these guys and gals, but they have some pretty cool stuff, considering they do it all themselves. As I mentioned in the other post,their vids are alittle unconventional with the music but to me, it adds to excitement, kind of makes it seem like an extreme sport. Im sure MH and those guys can give you plenty of tips, do and donts etc. Have fun, getting good video can be just as exciting as hunting in itself.

http://www.gonewildoutdoors.com/video7beyondordinary.html
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

1. if you're going to 'walk the walk, then learn to talk the talk'.........TAPE, SHOOT, VIDEO, CAPTURE.
Filming is what they do in Hollyweird.

Learn your camera, white balance, ALL of your manual operations--FOCUS AND IRIS.

That's enough curmudgeonly attitude for now.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep You will need to learn the camera in side out.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Some good advice already..........Audio is just as important as video,without good audio your footage will suck.It is definately way harder than it looks, animals rarely follow "the script", you will find that you will have to hunt twice as hard to get the same opportunities you would hunting w/o camera/cameraman in tow. Strive to be staedy at all times.......there is nothing more frustrating to watch than jerky unstable footage, a good camera arm and fluid head is a must. Think of zoom as a transition change, in other words don't go in and out as the animal comes in, zoom close when it is close to the tree and zoom back out after the shot............I will disagree the shot is not the most important part of the hunt, laying down a good visual and audio story is THE most important part of videoing a hunt (unless you are putting together a kill shot video)........LEARN your camera and it's manual functions INTIMATELY. you might have the best camera in the world,but if you can't operate it properly your footage will still suck,use manual controls as much as possible because shooting outdoor video the settings are constantly changing...............I have a blog on my website that might be helpful : http://www.pronghornproduction.com/tapingyourownhunts.htm.

Good luck
Chris
Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

What every one has already stated is really great advice.

But here is a piece of advice from my personal experience with filming hunts and perhaps the hardest to teach.. TELL A STORY. Don't be afraid to use LOTS and LOTS of tape. Go out there and film, film, film! But don't forget to TELL a story. It really will disappoint you if your footage looks all "cut up".. really try to put a full story together by filming everything involved with the hunt. The "intimacy" of the hunt if you will.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good advice.

Know your cameara and equipment.

Audio is as important as the video.

Natural Movement. You move when the deer moves/stop when the deer stops.

Dont go zoom crazy.

Most importantly...PRACTICE

I cant tell you how much better i got running the camer in the first year i started videoing
Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 PM

Forget the auto focus. Use the manual focus, and learn how to set it so that anything from zero to 40 or 50 yards will be in focus without constantly adjusting. Get an external mic if you can afford it. Get a wind muff no matter what micyou use(including the on board camera mic), and even if you can't afford one. Actually, they are not that expensive. Use some form of camera stabilzation. I am not a fan of tree mounted cam arms. We use a shoulder mount that works very well. Use a head cleaner often, even if your camera hasn't gave you the "clean heads" message. Get out there, lay some footage down, then watch and critique it, and learn from it. Get a wind muff. Learn how to use the manual adjustments for low light. See, there isn't much to it...

In case I forgot, make sure you pick up a wind muff for your mic.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.