Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Success rate" on "mature" bucks >

"Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Another thread got me thinking....

What do YOU consider a better than average "success rate" when considering hunting for "mature" bucks?

Here's your chance to show us yours.

How many years have you been hunting (total.....not just 'hunting mature bucks').....and what's your count (# killed)for "mature" bucks? I understand this isn't everyone's bag.....in that they don't go out at the beginning of the year targeting a specific age of animal. I also realize that few would likely pass on a mature buck.

Just wondering what it takes if you consider yourself a "successful" mature buck hunter.

Should be interesting......
Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Success rate" on "mature" bucks

I would have to consider myself an unsuccessful mature buck hunter!

I’ve gotten some nice bucks in my time, but not any big daddy’s. I’ve only ever seen two monsters in the woods while hunting.
The first I only saw once and elected to not take a shot, since I didn’t have a good one, he was across the property line, would have been illegal and my son was with me…

The second was this year. I saw him four times and never got a shot at him.

I’ve been hunting for probably 20 years, but only seriously for about five or six.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM

Down here, hunting on your typical ground, killing a mature buck every few years is a good average.

I've gone manyaeasons without seeinga mature deer, like this year, zero mature buck sightings.

On the ground I hunt, you typically get an opportunity every 3-5 years at a mature buck.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

For the sake of the thread.....size of rack is unimportant. A 3.5/4.5 yr old buck is that age, period.

I don't think they store memory; woods savvy or increased intelligence in their antlers!

So DC....if my math's correct.....you're thinking a success rate of about .266 is "good"? (every 3 years is .333 and every 5 yrs is .200)
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 AM

I do not know what I should consider a mature deer here. Never had one aged. Going by rack size only, I would say I have killed 2 bucks over 5 yrs old. Taxi told me that one was maybe 7 and the other one 5 1/2. I have taken several bucks in the 2 -3.5 year range I suppose, but not for sure. I can't really say that Im successful, Maybe a mature deer in Va is 5 or 6 yrs old. In that case Ive only killed 2, so I wouldn't consider that successful after 20 yrs of hunting. My 2 cents!!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM

In 12 seasons of hunting I have taken 4 that were definetly 3.5+ years old with the oldest being guessed around 7.5 (yes, this was in PA) and one that was believed to be either a really good 2.5 or a average 3.5.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Site Buck Guru

17/17 seasons of hunting for mature bucks1 gun kill, a lot of two state tags. Skunked some seasons, doubled on others. Feel pretty successful though.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Forgot to add.....(or maybe I said it before???).

How long have you been deer hunting....and how many of your mature buck kills were due to multiple tags/states? Also..and I see someone's already posted gun kills (which is cool!).....but how many with the bow?

It could make a difference....(EX- PA onlyallows you one buck tag (as I'm sure other states do, as well).
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So DC....if my math's correct.....you're thinking a success rate of about .266 is "good"? (every 3 years is .333 and every 5 yrs is .200)
The best of the best will kill a mature deer every year.... But, your above average, good hunters will kill every 3 years or so.

We just dont have a ton of mature bucks in MS. We have 71 days of firearm season(including muzzleloader) that span all phases of the rut. The bucks just never have a chance....

On one new property I have that is 400 acres, I've had 4 cameras on it for 6 months with only 2 mature bucks captured.

Thats pretty indicative of your average, typical hunting ground.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM

I've been seriously bowhunting about 12 years.....

Killed 3 mature bucks
Lost 2 mature bucks
Missed 2-3 mature bucks....

Luckily, those misses and losses were in my early years.... I've killed 3 mature deer since 2001. None of them are huge, but they were 3.5 and older.

Quick Reply: "Success rate" on "mature" bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.