Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scouting public property >

scouting public property

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scouting public property

Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Default scouting public property

I don't have a choice other than to hunt public property, so I am wondering what is the best tactic to use so as not to have other hunters take my location as their own? Also wondering should I place bait in a pile or spread it out, I figured by spreading it out,the bait wouldn't be as noticable. I really need help on this, I have been hunting for (4) four years and still have not harvested a deer. PLease help me, the taste or rather lack there of venison is taunting me!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scouting public property

i think that the most logical answer, you may not wanna hear it is to get as far from a road as possible and close to private ground. go the extra mile
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

absolutely correct ... hunting in CA all i hunt is public...not sure what kind of ground you are looking at but most average joes will not go that extra mile....get as far back as you can..use google earth, yahoo maps, etc. to find good areas to begin the scouting and go there...hike in and get back there and try to get somwhere hi to glass out an area if possible to avoid foot traffic in that area.......the best time to scout is during july-august (IMO)....
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree.. go the distance.. and look for natural funnels.. key in on these and hunt them with a good wind.

Another tactic you should try is hunting real close to roads. Most hunters never do this.. I hunted a public piece where I wasn't more than 100 yrds. from a major road.. I saw some real good bucks doing this.

Scout all you can early after the season is over. Again, look for any natural funnels that are out of the way of other hunters and small bedding pockets close to homes or roads.. look for sign.. i.e. poop.. rubs.. scrapes.. (be the first to hunt previous year's rub lines). When hunting public land use the other hunters to your advantage.. you will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes you don't have to go 'Deep"! The deer seem to pattern the hunter after a while. I look for the little patch of woods that no one goes into, that is over looked! My first deer I killed I could see my truck! One of the top 3 record book Bucks was killed by a hunter 10 yards of a dirt road, he was about 8 feet off the ground. Hunters would drive by and laugh at him, then he killed a MONSTER. I like to scout and look for the small "pothole" if you will that just might hold a buck to bed up in!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get there early and stay thru lunch, I've had many deer pushed past me by hunters arriving late or leaving early.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Some of you may gasp...lol....but I'm going to scout some public land, Saturday.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Some of you may gasp...lol....but I'm going to scout some public land, Saturday.
Good for you! I plan to do the same this weekend. We have some very good bowhunting only public areas that I have always wanted to try....I'm getting proactive this year......No more hanging on my small tract waiting for a buck to come by!

We gotta get out there and find them!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM

On public ground, other hunters can't take your spot as "their own". Public is public. Whoever gets there first is there. If you bump into another hunter, be courteous and get out of their way. If someone else moves into your position and sets up, either they didn't see you or they're being rude and inconsiderate. Your choices are: 1. ignore them 2. go talk to them 3. bail.

As for scouting, if you're using bait it doesn't require much scouting. Just look for an area with good cover anddeer sign, figure out a stand site and hunt. I wouldn't go over a couple hundred yards from the car, and I would recommend scattering the bait a little bit. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend baiting. In most areas of the country, deer are abundant enough and active enough to get one without baiting. Thousands of bowhunters do it every year. Baiting tends to make deer go nocturnal, and to travel less. Also, they are on high alert when approaching bait, which makes them difficult to kill with a bow.

On public land, you have to be very patient, persistent, skilled and lucky to get a deer with a bow.I think your effort isat least asimportant as your location.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:23 AM

Saw your post on Realtree.com ---how often do you get out ? 4 years and not even a sighting ? You def. need to find an area off the "beaten path" thick cover. The annoying areas that most won't venture to..

Quick Reply: scouting public property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.