Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rack Growth Over the Years >

Rack Growth Over the Years

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rack Growth Over the Years

Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rack Growth Over the Years

I posted this awhile back .... lots of new guys here, and it fits in with the MATURE BUCK theme going on .... enjoy!

Here's the article .....

"These shots are all of the same buck, that's what makes them so unique and rare.

I made a promise to the caretaker of this private property that I wouldn't disclose the location where these shots were done so I can only tell you they are from the upper midwest.

After photographing this buck I became addicted to capturing him on film every fall. This area is one of the most difficult places to make good shots because it is all wooded and the overhead canopy keeps it dark until the leaves fall. Even then it is dark because the oak trees hold their leaves so late into the winter.

Compound this problem was the fact that this deer was almost totally nocturnal. He only came out during the daylight during the rut. It made for a nearly impossible task to get him on film.

He became my first "obsessesion deer." I spent all my savings just to purchase fast-enough lenses, sturdy-enough tripods, and the best silent cameras. For eight years I spent every fall, during the rut, trying to get usable images of him. I spent so much time at it that my career suffered; business-wise my time would have been spent much more wisely photographing more productive areas.

But it was a grueling, satisfying journey. This buck taught me a tremendous amount about whitetail behavior, physiology, biology and social dynamics, so much that in seven seasons I gained a lifetime of knowledge from him.

He's my favorite whitetail subject ever, not just for his tremendous antlers but for his brutishly "boss" look. He only had to throw a glance at other bucks to make them back down. He's probably the largest-bodied whitetail I've ever seen. If I've ever seen a 400-pound whitetail, he was it!

I only ever saw his rut personality because that was the only time I could ever observe him; I never got a picture of him when he wasn't either with a doe or chasing does. His pattern was to never leave the hot doe alone. As long as I didn't spook her, I could get photos of him, if there was enough light! And there were a lot of photos of him that had to be thrown in the trash because poor light made for an unusable image.

How'd he get this big? The property owners made a conscious decision not to harvest him if the chance arose, thank goodness they did because they allowed one of the greatest bucks ever to live to a ripe old age!"
--Bill Kinney

here he is at 1.5, 2.5, 4.5 years old respectively ..... more of when he is older to follow ....

Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rack Growth Over the Years

and 5.5, 6.5, years old .....

Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

7 1/2 and 8 1/2

Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a great buck.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

looks like gregH's buck
Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice deer....y aren't you hunting him??? lol
Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Incredible, what a rare set of photos.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I remember seeing this, that truely is incredible to see the growth over the years. Seems like the main growing was done between 1.5 and 3.5. He certainly did gain some mass and length from 3.5 to 8.5, but I still think a buck is mature at 3.5 in most cases. After that its just gray hairs and beer bellys lol.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Bartender

Hey leave me out of this buddy, lol *gray hair, beer bellys*
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 AM

nice big buck!!!

Quick Reply: Rack Growth Over the Years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.