Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Didn't get him, and the season is over. >

Didn't get him, and the season is over.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Didn't get him, and the season is over.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Didn't get him, and the season is over.

Well, my season is over. Deer season anyway, taking my eight-year-old daughter duck/goose hunting tomorrow morning.

I spent most of my season on a farm, which allowed me (pretty much exclusively) to bow hunt only. I was not allowed to use any type of tree stand. This farmers land had been burned a number of years ago and he didn’t want anything in or on his remaining mature trees. I was allowed to bring in a freestanding tripod or whatever, but never did, since I don’t have one and really don’t have the desire for one.
Long story short, I saw what would have been the biggest buck I’ve ever gotten any type of chance at four times. As far as I know I never spooked him, but never got a shot at him either.
Last week of the season the farmer opened up his land to a dog hunting neighbor and guns. I’m also a gun hunter, but I felt as though I needed to carry the bow until the end. For no other reason than not wanting to change the rules on my big fella in the middle of the game. I wanted to get him on the ground with my bow and I didn’t. I guess you could say that I failed, or I’m not up to the challenge. But I think I’m a better hunter because of it.
According to the farmer, the biggest buck taken from the property was a six point, probably around 100 lbs. The one I was after looked to have approximately 12 points and weigh in around 200 lbs. So hopefully my big guy will be waiting for me next year, where we will start our game all over again. I thought I would have been a lot more upset than I am. I’m really just happy to have been able to hunt him and know that those big guys are around. I’ve gotten a few good size 8 points with my bow, but nothing like this big dude.

I hope you all had the seasons that you’d hoped for,

Best wishes,

KP
Old 01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Didn't get him, and the season is over.

Sorry to hear you didn't tag the big boy, but hey thats hunting. And you right, there is always next year. Be careful in the off season KP