Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt >

Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 AM

Default Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

I'm new to bow hunting...this is my first year, and I'll admit this walking in the woods in the pitch black has taken some getting used to. That said...for the first time...this morning...I was really spooked.

I showed up at my parking spot to get out and get ready around 5:30 this a.m. Got my gear on and headed to the spot I picked out a week before which is about 1/4 mile from the car. I wasn't more than 1/4 way there when I look up and there's a set of eyes what I'd guess was 75 yds in front of me...lookin at me. I thought...nah...it's just some of those reflectors otherhunters have used outhere to guide them in the night, till they disappeared....and then came back...then I figureit's something else. The eyes were set pretty far apart, so it wasn't a coon, possum..or some other harmless thing. My heart was about to pump through my chest...and I decided I'd make some noise to see if whatever this was would retreat. I jumped up and down so my climbing stand would clang...and then stomped on the ground (not sure really why I did that)....but this thing wasn't budging. And...at that point...I tucked tail and turned around and headed back to the car.

IfI'd had a shotgun....I'd a kept movin towards it...but somehow, even with the knowledge that no animal here in Illinois attacks humans...I was spooked. This animal was either not afraid of this bouncing light in the woods...or curious enough as to what the hellI was...that it was hanging around to find out.

I'll admit it...I laughed at myself the whole way home.....and there was a part of me that was mad at myself for chickening out with so few days left in the season.

So...Dog, Coyote, Deer....what's the guess you gentleman may have?? It spooked me enough that I am considering carrying my .380 next time I head into the woods..which isn't legal here in Illinois, and not something I want to do.

Can anyone share similar stories....it'd at least make me feel better aboutmy shortest hunt ever.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Pistol always on my hip when Im in the woods! I had a run in with a oppossum that had rabies while checking my camera. Now I always carry and dont worry to much about anything. I to hate walking in the woods when its dark. Every little noise makes your heart rate speed up!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I walked to my stand in another state......with a loaded Kimber .45 in one hand and my bow in the other.

This WAS in a state in which animals live that can attack and kill humans.

I'm as ethical and law-abiding as the next hunter.....but I will NOT let a line on a piece of paper determine whether or not I walk safely and without fear.....to my stand.

If I was afraid of what's in the woods.....I'd go in packin'. Period. Bring on the ethics police.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Could've been Germ. He's beenputting insome late season time.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:25 AM

I really thought I was getting pretty good at this walking the dark stuff till today. Like you I'd feel more comfortable if I had something on the hip...but it's not legal here in Illinois...and while chances are slim anyone would ever find out...I'd hate to know I was breaking the law. That said...its might just be what happens.

Any details you wanna share with you and the possum?? I'm positive this was bigger than a possum...but lord knows those things are mean without the rabies.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

....but I will NOT let a line on a piece of paper determine whether or not I walk safely and without fear
Exactly. I hold the 2nd ammendment a little higher than the PGC.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 AM

So...are you guys carrying in states that don't allow you to carry? There's really nothing I should be afraid of here in Illinois...but whatever this was gave me the heebiejeebies. It was probably a coyote or dog...but the eyes were set so far apart my first thought was ..'is that a wolf'?? We don't have those around here...but I wasn't walking up there to find out what it was...and I was far enough away all I could see were the eyes. I'm so used to everything around here taking off at first site of me....that when this thing didn't budge even when I made a bunch of noise...it's spooked me.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 AM

hell with that so called ethics..just carry the pistol and dont say anything and no one will bat an eyein my opinion ...a long time ago at the hunting store a guy told me that Game Wardens can search evertything but you so i idk if thats true or not but if it is im safe cause i hide one in on my side below my arm ..a buddy of mine used to be in the army and he gave me one of those cop holsters i callit thathangs on your shouldersand its neverleft my side and its never beenleft at the house when i leave to go hunting . I just carrya .22 but theres really nothing but big here in ohio to be afraid of other than some coon,and possum but it makes me feel better knowing i have more than arrows to shoot.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could have very well been a deer. At night, and if the animal did not smell you yet, sometimes curiosity takes over. A couple more steps and it may have bolted.

I've never had a problem in the woods at dark in my state. There's nothing in Jersey that will attack you and kill you. I've always felt at the top of the chain, with no worries......until the black bear population started to grow. Since the sightings have increased the thought of walking up on a mother and cubs has popped in my mind several times. I'd definately feel much safer carrying one of my sidearms, but our state is the absolute worst when it comes to hand guns. I've thought of just carrying one anyway when I'm hunting spots that are in deeper woods,but the thought of doing time in jailwith a wife and son at home tips the scale to the legal side.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Know that feeling, was on my way out of the woodsafter darkwalking into the wind on a tractor path when something came walking thru the brush from my right. It was too thick to see anything. I stopped, it kept coming. I picked up the pace and got up wind and out of there. Didn't see anything come out, so not sure what it was. I do carry a .38 at times, depends on where I go. Just keep it concealed.

Quick Reply: Two Beady Eyes and a Short Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.