Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Top end bucks in your area >

Top end bucks in your area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Top end bucks in your area

Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Top end bucks in your area

What do you consider to be top end bucks in your area?

I've seen a total of 5 B&C bucks in my areas. 3 typical and 2 non-typical. They ranged from the 170s into the 200s.

For the areas that I hunt, anything starting at the 160 level on up is what I consider to be a top end buck.

For the record, I don't see a 160+ buck every season, but I see 140 to 150+ bucks every season. The avg. big buck where I hunt is upper 130s to mid 140s, after that the air gets much thinner. For big bucks 120s to low 130s is fairly common.

This is my second season hunting for a top end buck and last year I missed 1 of 3 that I had seen. This season I shot the #1 buck that I saw last season, which was the #2 buck that I saw this season.

They're out there, but like I said the air gets thin at the top.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Top end bucks in your area

My area? Anything that gets to 100".

I keep a trail cam out all Summer.....and I'm in the woods a lot (48 sits, this year). I have never seen a deer that would go 110" inthe woods I hunt. No one in the immediate area of me has killed one that size (110"+), either (past 3 seasons).
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM

I would say 125-145 are common kills around here in South East Va, with a few 150-160 killed every year and maybe one or two in 170-190 range every year. But I don't know about the 200's, we have some I guess but not too common.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

<---------- (Look to the left........that's as good as it will ever get here.)

Dominant Buck

Here's a good question....

How many 4.5 yr old bucks in your area are 103" deer?
Nontypical Buck

Anything over 100" is a monster around here. I've bowhunted 4 years now and I've only seen one buck over 100".

Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which area?

Seriously I hunt all over and not many places twice. I used to hunt piece with regularity in northen Illinois.. it was a 140 acre farm with about 10 acres of woods if you put every tree on it together. A top end buck was only about 130" here. And anything over 115" was great.

Much of the public land I hunt has a very very few bucks that will hit the 140"-145" mark. These areas again... a good 115-120" is a great buck. These are all heavily pressured spots.

When I hunt in west-central Illinois it goes a bit higher. A great buck is a 140"-150" and a top end will easily go 160"+.

And I am refering to age groups of 3 1/2 or above. Too often hunters believe every mature buck is a P&Y deer or greater. It is not often the case in poorer genetic area's which many of us hunt. I've seen many 4 yr. olds who would not net P&Y..
Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

GregH, I want to know where in Lake County you're hunting. Spots around here are faaaaaar and few between anymore and it looks like you're in a good one. Can you at least give me a direction like North, West, East, South, etc?

I will tell you that I hunt Lake Co just outside of Wauconda and while I see some good deer from time to time, it's been awhile since I've seen anything in the 170+ range. And by "awhile" I mean "never".
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

well....book for p&y for CA starts at like 120 or so i think.....i have seen a couple of 140-150 deer (which would be very big for where i hunt...

they break it up into to classes...the coastal deer (true blacktails) and non-coastals that are considered hybrids of muley and blackatail crosses (these get much bigger) ... a true blacktail does not get too big antler wise....

i have taken a deer forked horne..or a 6 pointer your guys standards...that was ancient..don't know his age (regret not aging him) but his teeth were worn down almost to his gums...very old and a very goofy rack (tasted just fine though )...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

<---------- (Look to the left........that's as good as it will ever get here.)
Aim high Matt you never know what's running around.

130-140 is the average

I have killed a 170+ bucks and seen at least 3 booners in my day

Quick Reply: Top end bucks in your area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.