Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

TV Hunting show hosts and their credibility....

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Default TV Hunting show hosts and their credibility....

For anyone who watches hunting show routinely, do you notice that they don't always use the same gear year after year? I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but what do ya'll think of this..?

Let's say this guy uses this product this year, and of course he/she is enodorsing it as the single greatest thing since sliced bread. Enter the next year....using the same product by another competitor, and IT'S now the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ok look. I understand they have a business to run, and money is what runs that business. I understand that sponsors are the only way that's going to be done, and they certainly must speak highly of their sponsors.

BUT, what does that do for the credibility of said host? In my mind, it totally destroys it. I must wonder, are they endorsing said product because they really like it, and enjoy using it, or simply because they have to?? Do they really mean what they are saying about it, because next year it will be something different.

So I guess my point is.....how many people buy and use things because So and So on TV uses it and says it's great, and how many people use what they use because they actually like it, and believe in it?

I don't mean this in a negative fashion, either. I enjoy watching hunting shows, very much. I am just to the point where I pay absolutely NO attention to what they are using and why.

EDIT; there's some great points in this thread. Please don't just read my opening thread and post a reply. Take the time to read them all. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TV Hunting show hosts and their credibility....

I base my decisions on gear purchases on info obtained here more than on any hunting show. I rarely watch the shows anymore. I think they destroy any credibility when they make a bad shot,(gut shot, spine, etc.), and then make a comment about about the great hit they just made. I saw that way too often for me to be able to watch very often.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

If I see something on TV that looks like it will be something I would be interested in, I do a little research and get reviews from other hunters. A lot of the people and reviews on this web site. I don't run out and get it because Stan Potts said this is the best thing since sliced bread. A products I did see on TV from this last season,was thethe Primos Buck Roar that I really liked and it actually worked for me. Not to say that another grunt/wheeze call would not have done the same thing.

And by the way, I have noticed the same thing you mentioned. It's mostly about the sponsors with them on the TV shows. But just like us, they like to check out the lastest and greatest toys. Ha.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

For anyone who watches hunting show routinely, do you notice that they don't always use the same gear year after year? I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but what do ya'll think of this..?

Let's say this guy uses this product this year, and of course he/she is enodorsing it as the single greatest thing since sliced bread. Enter the next year....using the same product by another competitor, and IT'S now the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ok look. I understand they have a business to run, and money is what runs that business. I understand that sponsors are the only way that's going to be done, and they certainly must speak highly of their sponsors.

BUT, what does that do for the credibility of said host? In my mind, it totally destroys it. I must wonder, are they endorsing said product because they really like it, and enjoy using it, or simply because they have to?? Do they really mean what they are saying about it, because next year it will be something different.

So I guess my point is.....how many people buy and use things because So and So on TV uses it and says it's great, and how many people use what they use because they actually like it, and believe in it?

I don't mean this in a negative fashion, either. I enjoy watching hunting shows, very much. I am just to the point where I pay absolutely NO attention to what they are using and why.

I don't. I buy something that I hear is good from an un-biased source, heck thats about half the reason I come here, the reviews people give are great. Also, I have quite a few hunting buddies, and my dad does as well. Those places are normally where I get my reviews.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

If I see something on TV that looks like it will be something I would be interested in, I do a little research and get reviews from other hunters. A lot of the people and reviews on this web site. I don't run out and get it because Stan Potts said this is the best thing since sliced bread. A products I did see on TV from this last season,was thethe Primos Buck Roar that I really liked and it actually worked for me. Not to say that another grunt/wheeze call would not have done the same thing.

And by the way, I have noticed the same thing you mentioned. It's mostly about the sponsors with them on the TV shows. But just like us, they like to check out the lastest and greatest toys. Ha.
Good points, and I think this is exactly how to do it. Gain the awareness of said product by seeing the add, then doing the research and deciding for yourself.
Typical Buck

I can't stand the shows that do nothing but push sponsor products!!!! "I would have never shot this buck without this gun, bow, etc" GIVE ME A BREAK!![:@]

As far as switching sponsors.....that is just part of the game. But I agree that they need to be careful as to how they "sell" the products because...here today, gone tomorrow.

To me....there are two types of hunting shows out there. One that is nothing more than a infomercial selling products....and shows that hunt and give credit where credit is due without cramming it down our throats.

One example that comes tom mind about "being careful" is Jim Shockey. Two years ago he was telling us that he trusts his life (or however he said it) on his Knight muzzleloader. He is now saying the same thing about TC.

Don't cram the fricking sponsors down my throat and I'll watch!!!!!
Giant Nontypical

This changes absolutely nothing in my eyes. I watch shows for entertainment value and because I like to see deer. If I learn something, great, but I don’t expect to. If I see a product that intrigues me, I’ll investigate further and then decide if I should waste my money on it.

Hunters endorsing product X, when last season they were behind product Y is no different than my favorite NASCAR driver being in a ford one season and a dodge the next. I’m still going root for him and against Jimmie Johnson regardless of anything else that happens.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is quite possible that their opinions change from time to time. I know mine do.

It is also possible that with so many quality products available for hunters that all of the products they push are of high quality.

Honestly, I have only switched one product I use in the last 7 years and that is I bought some Rage broadheads based on reports from GMMAT, Beagle, and TXhoghunter. Not based on any pros.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

It is quite possible that their opinions change from time to time. I know mine do.

It is also possible that with so many quality products available for hunters that all of the products they push are of high quality.

Honestly, I have only switched one product I use in the last 7 years and that is I bought some Rage broadheads based on reports from GMMAT, Beagle, and TXhoghunter. Not based on any pros.
Good points as well. Shoot, I change what broadhead I use nearly every year as well, and you're right. There are many, many quality products out there. Part of the fun, for me anyway, is trying them. I never looked at it under those glasses before, that's an interesting point. That wouldn't do anything to their credibility at all either. Just changing things up a bit. Good point...
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't put an ounce of thoughtinto what product some so-called expert on TV gets paid to use.

Today, the vast majority of hunting shows are nothing more than a 30 minute advertisement.

Quick Reply: TV Hunting show hosts and their credibility....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.