Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone use a dehydrator to make jerky? >

Anyone use a dehydrator to make jerky?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone use a dehydrator to make jerky?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone use a dehydrator to make jerky?

Well I got a dehydrator for xmas and a jerky gun.

I grinded up the sausage last night with our meat grinder about 4 pounds and mixed in a package of jerky mix from fleet farm that says it's for 4 lbs of meat. I also added in the package of meat cure and added 4 cups of water as what the package says on it. I mixed everything up in a bowl and am I going to let it marinade and put it on the dehydrator tonight.

Anyone know if I am doing this right and how long does it take for the jerky to get done in the dehydrator?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use a dehydrator to make jerky?

Sound like you are doing it right. The time will depend on your dehydrator. It usually takes 3 to 4 hours to dry for me.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on how thick you make it. I use cut meat anywhere from 1/8 to ΒΌ inch thick and it takes an over night for the thin stuff and as much as 30 hrs for the thicker stuff.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your dehydrator should have a list of recommended times, mine takes about 7 hours when using the jerky gun. Keep an eye on it though, if it stays in too long it doesn't turn out very well.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

it will depend on how good of a dehydrator you got...i have the 4 tray cheapo from wally world and if i load every tray using the jurkey gun it will take about 10 hours...i like mine more crisp then chewy....

i have even done jerky without all the other packages..grind up your meat and add what you want (garlic powder, spicy salt, soy souce, etc.) mix it up, let it sit and then use the gun to make your strips.....for your first time i would do it on a day where it can be watched for a while..just in case it takes longer then you thought...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good to me!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

10 hours in a dehydrator! ... WOW! I cut mine about 1/8th to 1/4 thick ... not ground, tho ..... it takes about 4-6 hours ....
Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I need to get one of these, only draw back is I'd be fat as a steer though if I had one, I love jerky!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the cheap-o Wal-Mart one and a full 4 trays of burger with the jerky gun is about 3.5-4 hours.

I do have trouble telling when its done, always seems to "stiffen up" after I take it out and I get some overdone batches.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Spike

Mine is generally done in 4 to 4.5 hours. Each hour I flip over each piece of jerky and rotate the trays.

Quick Reply: Anyone use a dehydrator to make jerky?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.