Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Morning hunt from hell >

Morning hunt from hell

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Morning hunt from hell

Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Morning hunt from hell

Well we have two days of hunting left here in Virginia. So I get up and in the woods by 5:45(sun-up at 7:15)....As I am about 75 yards from where I want to hunt, my headlight goes out...it dies. I am left standing in the complete darkness in the timber. I then slowly start moving toward my area...I sound like a 1000 pound idiot, snapping twigs like a drunk bigfoot. As I get to a good tree and prepare to climb it, I notice that all of my cold weather gear has fallen off somewhere on the way in...it was about 20 degrees and the wind started picking up to 5-10 mph..I lasted 1 hour before frostbite had every extremity on alert. As I walked back to find my stuff, I jumped deer from about 15 yards of where I told myself to set up this morning but did not.....what a morning...a morning that idiots are made of. I hadn't been that idiotic in years. I wanted to shoot myself with a Muzzy!

This was me at 0600 this morning--moron alert!

shadow
Old 01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Morning hunt from hell

I had the headlight thing go out early in the season. While they are nice, they are not very reliable over a long period of time. I keep a flashlight in my pack now all the time. Good luck next time.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

LK--the headlight thing takes 4 batteries and only lasts like 8 hours or so--it is terrible..convenient but terrible on costs/reliability.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Remember Virginiashadow, Everyone has had mornings they would rather forget. Very big of you to admit it. It will all get better.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, I haven't stomped around like that in years..I mean I felt like a total moron. Was all set to hunt until 11 and enjoy the scenery...tomorrow morning is another go for me...hoping to get a glimpse of one more beautiful deer before the season ends.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have had my rechargeable flashlight die on me about 15 yards into the woods before. I now carry a small back up flashlight in my back. I have had one of those days in the early season. I FORGOT both flashlights, my call, AND dropped two arrows and my quiver out of the tree all the while having buck after buck walk by. Almost seems like they were laughing at my morning.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one of the reasons that I quit going into the woods before daylight. I always seem to jump deer in the dark.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of headlamps are you guys using? My friends and I use the snot out of ours for everything from September all the way through when our last seasons close in February and I change my batteries maybe twice a year. We do a lot of waterfowling and the lights are on a lot while we set up decoys.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 PM

I feel your pain. Have had mornings like that, just hate it. Humans are a diurnal animal. That means we are active in daylight, sleep at night. We are out of our element in the woods in the dark. Nothing to be ashamed of, just a fact of life. It is an accomplishment when you can overcome it.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

I know the feeling. couple of yrs ago, I went in the woods & realized I had left my light. So I thought, I know these woods pretty good, & proceeded to try to recognize trees in the dark. What a fool. I got completely turned around & lost in about 5 min. Decided just to sit & wait for light. Here come 2 guys, from my camp, with their lamps on. Turns out I ended up a couple of yds from the trail I walked in. Overdosed on stupid pills. Now I always carry a flashlight in my pack & check for my headlamp everytime!

Quick Reply: Morning hunt from hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.