Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Adjustable sights??? >

Adjustable sights???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Adjustable sights???

Old 01-31-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Adjustable sights???

I'm in the market for a new sight and just looked at the Impact Cosmic Lite at their website. It looks like it would be very bright but can somebody explain the one pin to me. Do you have to adjust the sight on the side for distance before each shot at a different range? It seems like it would be more involved than just having more pins for different ranges. Plus I have enough stuff running through my mind when the deer appear I'm not sure I would remember to adjust it.

Can somebody explain exactly how to use it and its advantages?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:47 PM

Default RE: Adjustable sights???

Smitty, I tried to e-mail you but it wouldn't go through.

I'll definitely have to give them a try before deciding on whether to go with a single pin adjustable or multi pin fixed sight. I would say right now I'm leaning towards either the Cosmic or the Trophy Ridge Matrix. I've heard some complaints about the Matrix moving on people so I'm not 100% sold on it. Then again I've heard complaints about the Cosmic and how the two afjustment knobs are not as convenient as say the HHA Optimizer sight. Of course the Optimizer doesn't look nearly as bright as the Cosmic.

So many choices and every sight seems to have trade-offs.

Can you mount a removeable quiver with the Cosmic or Optimizer? It appears that you would not be able to.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:05 AM

Cabelas, I didn't want to write a book on this before,but here's my $.02. I feel your more limited with a fixed multiple pin set-up. ExampleNormally in a treestand 20' up) I have one spot ,where if I get a shot its only 10-15 yrds max. A 20 yrd pin works but I have to aim a little low ,with an adjustable I just set it to 13 yrds. I have another spot that is 30 yrds max but probably about 15-20 yrds normally so there I set it at 18 yrds.In SC we can hunt over corn , at my hunting club most stand are 45-50 yrds out , if I range one at 43 I adjust my sight to 43 yds ,etc.etc.etc. To me shooting, say at 40 yrds,you got a 40 on the deer,you have a 30 and 20 above and a 50 below (that's a lot going on to me)When you can just setle in your one pin at 40 and clearly look at the animal.And like Smitty said more than likely you'll have time to adjust the sight and it does help calm you down. To me ,pulling up a sight window full of pins, picking the correct one, deciding if I need to aim high or low with one ,or shoot in between two of them ,was much more complicated.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:09 AM

Smitty, CBM, or others. Do you mind sharing which sight you have, and maybe some others you have heard had problems.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have the Optimizer Lite moveable site that I am playing with in 3D. So far, this site is great. I have not decided if I will try it next bow season or not, but right now I am leaning towards at elast trying it out.

Last season I used the Trophy ridge Flatliner and a Trophy Ridge Matrix. Personally, I loved both of them. I did not experience any of the problems some folks had with the housing moving around in the divetails, just lucky I guess.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:41 AM

Sitter, I'm currently using an Impact Comic . I also have a Montana Black Gold Hunter #7 that I like a lot , it just wasn't bright enough in low light situations and I wanted to try an adjustable sight. I was really surprised at how much I like the Impact Cosmic better for hunting.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Cab,

I prefer the movable pin versus the fixed. The reason being is that once the range is set on the sight, there is no possiblitly of picking the wrong pin. This has happened to me before with fixed pin sights and has cost me a good buck.

I have the cosmic aperature on a Cobra Easy Slide movable sight body. I bought the aperature separate from the sight because in all honesty, the Impact sight body aint the greatest. The cosmic aperature is the brightest I have found and will literally be able to be seen in all legal hunting hours.

Smitty and CBM make goood points on the ease of adjustment while on stand, I have done the same many times and it becomes second nature quickly.

Mounting a quiver involves using spacers to mount the quivers mounting block away from the pivoting mechanism of the sight. Very easy and solid. My cobra came with the spacers as did a HHA Optimizer I had previously.

Hope this helps.

MN_BOWHUNTER

Edited by - MN_BOWHUNTER on 02/06/2003 08:46:29

Edited by - MN_BOWHUNTER on 02/06/2003 08:47:17
Old 02-06-2003, 07:33 PM

my problem with the moveable sights is that what if i see a deer walkin this trail at 20 yds.i set my pin go to full draw and go to stop the deer and he spooks out to 40 yds.i'd have two choices.let down and reset or aim over his back and throw a hail mary.i like fixed pins b/c i can adjust on the fly if need be.thou they are probably a safe bet for 99% of hunting situations,there are always exceptions to every rule.my wife uses a moveable sight b/c she only likes aiming with one pin without the other distractions.also if she guesses a distance at say 30 yds. and it is really 33 she's only off by a bit.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:10 PM
pup

i am using the hha lite sight and i love it.

peta SUCKS

Quick Reply: Adjustable sights???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.