Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Confused Newbie! >

Confused Newbie!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confused Newbie!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 AM

Default RE: Confused Newbie, Matthew, Bowtech or Hoyt

I can't wait for the local dealers to get all the 2008's in. I want to get a new bow soooooooo bad! Hope they get a Katera and General in by this weekend.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I shot both the general and katera as well as several others last week. Comparing the katera to the general is comparing apples to oranges. If you shoot one then immediately pick up the other and shoot it you'll know what I mean. Katera is fast and very nice but the General is in a league of it's own when it comes to shock or vibration which you mentioned was important to you, butI hated the draw cycle of the general so Ichose a smooth, quiet and fastPSE made bow. They don't get much support on this boardbut it's what felt good to me. By the way,my old bow was a hoyt.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

when picking between $800 bows, its an obvious win win, so you can also pick between bow shops too. Say you like a couple bows equally, but they aren't both sold in the same place. Then part of your decision could be the shop and the people at it. If one shop is set up better, or the people at it seem more knowledgeable and helpful, you'll likely get more out of buying a bow there, because of the future time you'll spend setting it up and maintaining it with that shop if needed.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot Hoyt and Mathews for several years, but after I shot my 1st Bowtech in 03 I have been hooked. They have the Binary cam technology which IMO is the most trouble free, best performing Cam system currently on the market. Shoot them yourself and you will know. One bit of advice be sure to shoot them set at Your draw length as that does affect how the Bow feels and shoots

Dan
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Site Bouncer

You will not go wrong with any of the big manufacturers out there, all make great bows.

I prefer single cam bows, very easy to work on and maintain, withsolid reliable performance.Of the three you are looking at I'd go with the Mathews. The only other single cam bow that even comes close (IMO)are the Ross bows.

Good luck and be sure to post a picture of the new rig!

Welcome back to bow hunting.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure that you shoot everything.....I was always a Hoyt guy until I shot the Bowtech General...The General is the smoothest and quitest bow I have ever shot. Make sure that you really look into Bowtech
Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM

I just bought a new High Country Iron Mace and it is the first new bow i have ever bought. I have had a Bowtech Alligance - A mathews sq2 and liked them both but after shooting a Iron Mace there was no question i put it down after 15 shots and had the HCA dealer rig it out it shoots smooth and fast. Good luck there are lots of quality bows this one i just couldnt live without.

[/align]
Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ishoot mathews very quiet on draw, no cable slide. The bow shoots good for me to, but you have to decide yourself. Go at it open minded an you will get the best bow for you. Make sure you do not get your draw length to long.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I was a Switchback owner until I shot the Allegiance. I gave up NOTHING in the switch.......and picked up speed.

I've since ordered an 82nd Airborne for my target bow and a Guardian for my son (he was shooting the switchback and we sold it before Christmas).

THE reason I/we shoot Bowtechs is..........like I said.....I give up NOTHING.....and I shoot a seriously fast bow. My Allegiance is a hunting machine. I've thought about the general......but I will wait another year to do that.

Shoot 'em all. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I've never heard of Matthews, but I knowof acompany by the name of Mathews that makes a great bow. I've owned bows from all three companies over the past 3 or 4 years. Actually, I still own a BowTech Constitution whichI enjoy shooting very muchin addition to my 2 Mathews bows. (Sold the Hoyt Trykon XL about 5 months after buying it though. Not my cup of tea.) If I'm being honest, none have reallyshot/feltas nice as theMathews. (Oh, and I've worked for a few shops, so I've shot countless others... Ross, Martin, PSE, Browning, Bear, Kodiak, HCA, Diamond... owned a Black Ice too... Sold it.)

Anyway, aside from getting out there and shooting them for yourself, I would suggest Googling "Norb Mullaney" and reading some of his "dynamic efficiency testing". In keeping away from the "fanning" and just putting out hard facts, Mathews has been his tested most efficient bow for the past severalyears. (Basically,that'sa ratio ofarrow speedagainst the draw force curve of the bow.) In simple terms, you get more speed out of a Mathews bow when compared to the difficulty or harshness of thedraw cyclethan any other compound bow testedon the planet. They are also consistently in the top 3 quietest bows tested annually in various resources. (Until a couple years ago, they were numberone pretty regularly.)

All told, you can find bows faster but they will have a much more harsh draw cycle. Youcan even find a couple bows thatmay bequieter, but none have the efficiency that Mathews does. Given that (and the fact thata quick browse of your local shop for prices will reveal several bows in the same, if not higher, price range) I don't see too many folks throughout the "overpriced" tag anymore. But, hey, to each his or herown.

Quick Reply: Confused Newbie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.