Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ME AND MY BRIGHT IDEA >

ME AND MY BRIGHT IDEA

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ME AND MY BRIGHT IDEA

Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default ME AND MY BRIGHT IDEA

I'll bet it's happened to us all. We've thought of an idea for an invention that would be the next big hit because once seen, nobody could live without it. But, not knowing how to go about getting that idea off the ground, we don't do anything about it and kick ourselves in the butt when we later see it on the store shelf.
Well, I have what I believe to be a very good idea for a new...anduseful hunting product. I've thought about this for a long time and actually did a rough test on the idea this past week and it worked as well as expected.My next step is to figure out how to move forward. Any ideas?
I've e-mailed Primos, Hunter's Specialities and Knight and Hale to ask if they work with stuff like this, but I'm looking for help from someone who may have invented something and actually had it make it onto the market. What's the process?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig
Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ME AND MY BRIGHT IDEA

Build a prototype if possible, and apply for a pattent. I'd be careful e-mailing those companies, don't think they wouldn't steal an idea in a second if they had the chance. Keep it to yourself until you get the patent or at least get it applied for. Hopefully we'll all be talking about getting your big idea for Christmas a couple years from now. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is indeed a new invention draw it up and apply for a patent(Sp?)

If not all you can do is pitch it to the guys who may try to buy the idea from you. Keep in mind that they could just decide to do it thier own way and leave you out. Thats why the patent is important. Unless of course you can get people to invest so you can go into production and make it yourself. Then you can try to get them to buy the existing product line.

I had an idea 10 years ago about hat/bow/gun mounted cameras to capture the hunt. Never had the money to go anywere with it. Now I can just buy one someone else came up with.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell me what it is and then I will tell you how to get it on the market
Old 01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

As mentioned, Build it, pattent it, then talk to the marketers. Dont let out your idea to a marketer like Primos etc., with out a pattent. They will just make it and market it themselves. Money will come from those paying to use said pattent, or when some company buys the pattent to start marketing it. I would not talk to any marketers until you got the pattent pending.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutly get a Pattent on any and all parts involved and also the name of said product before you talk to anyone.....once you tell a company about your idea and they think it will sell,they will be on the phone to the pattent office before you hang up your phone....
Zip the lip..........
lose lips sink ships................
Old 01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

China does not realize USA pattens, be very careful and be very fast the market window opens and closes very rapidly. BTW if is good it will be copied and sold by those that can afford to tie you up in court for years.

Good Luck, Jim
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have filed for a few patents for hunting related items, and for turbo related things for cars. I can tell you that they are very costly to do with legal fee's, filing fee's, searches required by the US Patent office, especially not knowing if your idea will be approved by the US Patent Examiners and your money will be recouped. The first thing I would tell you to is contact a local Patent lawyer and go for a counciltation about your idea to get a better idea of how the process works. One word of advice is have a local patent attorney help you and dont go with one of the online companies that file for you. Good luck with your idea!

Oh yeah, and Jim is right about the patents outside the US where most things get manufactured because of cost. Its much cheaper to have things manufactured in China obviously, but that also can bite you in the rear end later on.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm waiting for someone to invent the leaning rack. It would be likea lawn chair, only you would use it in a leaning position. It would be great for hunting, concerts and other activities. I don't care if someone steals my idea, I just want one.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Have you tried searching the patent list yourself?

Quick Reply: ME AND MY BRIGHT IDEA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.