Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The reason why I'll always stop deer from now on... PIC >

The reason why I'll always stop deer from now on... PIC

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The reason why I'll always stop deer from now on... PIC

Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The reason why I'll always stop deer from now on... PIC

I previously thought that if deer were moving at a slow enough pace (meaning a slow walk) that I shouldn't stop them for fear of string jump and just follow and squeeze. Thedoe below is why I've changed my way of thinking. It was at 18yds with a slow steady stride, maybe 2mph. I did as described above and the results were almost disasterous. The blood trail did not start for 40yds and was fairly light and faded to specs pretty fast. Luckily I backed out and went back the next morning to find her laying stiff 150yds from where I shot her. As you can see, the entrails were hanging out on the exit side. I had my pin behind the shoulder on a slight quartering to shot and by the time the arrow got to her, it hit right in the middle.

I'm not saying that anticipating where the arrow will hit then just squeezing it off a little forward on a walking deer wont work, I'm just saying I don't have enough skill, confidence, or self control for that yet. Til that happens, I'm stopping the animal and aiming behind the shoulders and a third way up. If it string jumps, it string jumps, that I can't control. What I can control is whether I want to chance a moving target or not.

Better a missed opportunity than a bad hit resulting in a lost deer.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The reason why I'll always stop deer from now on... PIC

Good Job on backing out for the night.

Congrats on the doe btw!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well put Hoytail!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know if it's the reason for the hit. It was a misplaced shot is all. I'll take a walking deer at 18 yards every time. I'm not going to make a noise and put them on alert. Of course, I wouldn't take the quartering to shot either, but that's me.If she quartering to and walking she's soon going to be broadside and closer. I would have just held off a little longer. I've seen too many deer turn inside out with all these people baaaaaaing and whistling to stop them. A longer shot I might try to stop them.....but not at 18 with them getting closer.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Respect given for knowing your limitations. I won't shoot a moving deer either.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you found the deer, but I disagree on string jump and not taking slow walking shots at short distances. My thinking and experience:

At least 1/2 of my kills have been at slow walking deer, most at short distances. My longest shot at a slow walking deer was a double lung passthoughfrom 37 yds. at a 9 pt. buck. Dead run to 60 yds. and he piled up. I believe deer can string jump easier while standing still than they can while walking because of being more alert. A deer in an easy, slowstride is not as alert and cannot jumpor duck as quickly because he is in 1/2 stride(rather he is making strides), which will slow his reaction time slightly. JMO, but its always worked for me successfully.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Exactly Cougar. I've always said they can't hear the bow as well and aren't going to change directions as fast. I mean they never change. I've never shot one past 30 yards walking, but won't say no one should. It comes with years of experience and thousands of arrows to know(maybe I should say feel)how long it is fromTWANG to TWACK.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Respect given for knowing your limitations. I won't shoot a moving deer either.
nctaxi,

I think you picked the right wording there, "knowing your limitations". David and Cougar, you guys are correct in your thoughts for your personal limitations and Hoytail was correctfor his. He discovered where his limitations are....not everyone is at the same level of "skill, confidence or self control" as Hoytail put it himself. Someday he may be where you two are, but even if he doesn't get there, its still a great thing that he knows and recognizes his personal limits.

Nice job Hoytail!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have not made a sound to stop a deer yet. I just wait for the chance. Slow walk or sometimes they stop to feed on leaves or whatever. It has worked great for me.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I stop them always, unless they are already stopped. IMO, deer don't duck arrows, then "load" to run away....

Quick Reply: The reason why I'll always stop deer from now on... PIC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.