Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 s&w knife  VS Remington knife >

s&w knife VS Remington knife

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

s&w knife VS Remington knife

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default s&w knife VS Remington knife

OK guys in Oct i bought a Remington knife with gut hook for gutting it had a rubber handle and long hard blade looked like a good knife and for 20 bucks
so i bought i

when got home i pulled it out and it looked like a good knife

but it was duller then a broad head through a tree trunk
i mean i would not cut hair not even cut my skin if i tried to to like it had never been sharpen. a friend sharped it for me it is sharp but still not hair cutting sharp

well or Xmas i got a 3 inch folding s&w not cheap but it did not cost much

has a pearl looking grip inlaid on plastic my mom told me she paid 20 or 30 for it

well in is razor sharp will cut hair with no problem like a shaving razor new out of the box
i can not figure why the Remington is a dull piece of sh*
but i know when i go buy another knife for gutting i will look at s&w closely

also is this 3 inch folding knife OK for gutting deer

and how sharp do you wont a gut knife i was told razor sharp is not good because it will dull to quickly

ps the remington came from gander and i will not ever buy another remington knife
Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: s&w knife VS Remington knife

How long a blade stays sharp depends on thesteel it is made from.

http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

S&W is know for their guns, not their knives. It is all about the steel. First pick a style knife you like to use. For me, it is a drop point blade, 3 to 4 inches long. Then pick a steel that you like. For instance; I am an okay knife sharpener. Probably better at it than a lot of people who never try it, but I don’t have a natural skill to get a bunch of different steels razor sharp. However, I have found that I can sharpen D2, and VG10 pretty well, and they keep a pretty good edge. My newest knife for this year is a Fallkniven F1. It is the Swedish special forces survival knife and it has a full tang, drop point, laminated VG10 with a Rockwell rating of 59. It costs a little over $100, but is a great fixed blade knife. Stop messing around with crap and get yourself a good knife, you’ll be glad that you did.
KP

Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

I've found withknives, like most anything else, you usually get what you pay for.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I field dressed and skinned 1 deer and killed (cut through neck bone)and skinned 8 chickens and only had shape it up on the steel once.

Moran Drop Point Skinner Hunting Knife by Spyderco Knives

I sharpen all my knives (kitchen/hunting) with this - Sharpener - If you have a number of knives to keep sharp this will save tons a time and give you rpofessional edges.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

I've found withknives, like most anything else, you usually get what you pay for.
Absolutely true!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like that article says, you have to change the edge bevel for different steels, but I'd add for different jobs too. A blade you intend to use for heavy cutting and chopping needs a steep edge bevel. One you will use for the fine, detailed cuts you need for caping would need a shallow, thin bevel. General duty knives would use a medium bevel. You want the knife sharp, whatever bevel you use. A dull knife just makes you work harder and is more dangerous to use than a sharp one.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

all good point i plan to buy a new knife next year i hope and when i buy a new one it will be a ood knife not a 20 dollar piece of junk
Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 AM

Is the Buck model 110 a good knife? i've been wanting to get another knife.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have the same remington knife you are talking about and i used this year to gut a deer. It went through the deer like a hot knife through butter. i had to use very little pressure to open the gut. Maybe you should contact remington and tell them your problem maybe they will send you a new one.

Quick Reply: s&w knife VS Remington knife

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.