Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Next Year's Plan For My Property >

Next Year's Plan For My Property

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Next Year's Plan For My Property

Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Next Year's Plan For My Property

Having just read the Baiting VS Food Plots thread, I thought I'd post my plan for next year. I have built two feed troughs even though I cannot hunt the trough or the paths leading to it.Next to the troughs, I am putting in mineral blocks and salt licks.My thought line for putting in the troughs is to get the deer conditioned to staying on the property. It will also get them used to hearing my 4 wheeler when I go once a week to fill the troughs.

I have a sanctuary area for the deer which will be completely off limits to humans. In the sanctuary area (where I have seen many deer bedding already), I am going to plant switch grass where it is presently weeds. I am putting in a food plot between the sanctuary and a oak grove. On the east side of the pond, I am putting in another food plot just south of the house and bordering it with switch grass. Another food plot is going in southeast of this plot and another trough will be between these two plots.

My question to y'all (who are already experienced with this) does this look like a good plan???

Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Next Year's Plan For My Property

AF....where's the bullet proof bunker going? [8D]

jk...sounds like you have a good plan, but my question is how big is this property? Re: the trough's you better get some good advice on how to do those right. I've heard of folks "wasting" alot of time & money doing that wrong. I couldn't tell you on those.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Looks good!! All you can do is try and see what happens.

I've never been a big fan of feeders or troughs. I've always just dumped it right on the ground, but thats just me!!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Total area of the land is 51.5 acres. The only reason I decided on troughs over just dumping on the ground is to keep corn and bean plants from popping up all over the place.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been dumping corn for around 10 years now and have never had a problem with corn plants growing up. Occassionaly the corn will rot on the ground though and you have to remove it but that is as bad as it gets. Looks like a great plan to me. Really, any plan is usually a good plan b/c it means that you will be improving things at least somewhat. I am not sure that the deer will care about switchgrass versus weeds, but it will help any quail or pheasant around plus rabbit, etc. Sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of enjoyable work this year. Best of luck!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now, from what I have seen, deer pass through this property all the time, but just a few bed here. My plan is to set this property up so the deer will want to stay. That is why I have designated the one area on the west side of the big pond as a sanctuary. A friend of mine who has been managing his property for 10+ years told me that if I planted switch grass or pompus grass, not only would deer bed there, but it would also entice quail and pheasant. The other food plots are in areas that not only deer use, but turkey also frequent. With the close proximity to mature oak and walnut trees, hopefully the turkey will stick around more.