Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New goals?

Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New goals?

My goal for the past 4 or so years has been a buck I field judged to be "140 class" or better.... I have been thinking lately and I might change things up a bit....[/align][/align]Just a couple months ago I bought a used camper for hunting and what I am thinking ispicking a few counties other than my own each yearand concentrating all of my "spare" hunting time (weekends and vacation) on them.My new goal would be attempting to take a P&Ybuck from as many different counties as I can.....Hunting mostly public land but some private as well ifI was fortunate enough to secure permission on some decent land..... I would say the vast majority would be public land though. [/align][/align]Iwouldn't give up on hunting a county that I have taken a P&Y from though, my goal there would remain unchanged from before at a whitetail I field judge to be 140+ (gross).....[/align][/align]I was talking with Rybo about this a while ago.... I just think I may do it.....[/align][/align]Some may think that is lowering my standards..... I don't really look at it that way...... I look at it more as motovation to get out and hunt some new places and enjoy learning some new ground......[/align][/align]Any thoughts? Suggestions?[/align]
Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: New goals?

Buckeye,

I think that's a great idea, and no I don't think you're lowering your standards, if anything you might just be raising them. I think killing say a 129in net P&Y buck on land you're not familiar with and have only had a few days to scout is far more challenging than say a 150in P&Y that you know where he is and have semi patterned him with scouting, camera, etc...

Good for you bud, it will only make you (a great hunter) an even betterhunter.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Buckeye,

I think that's a great idea, and no I don't think you're lowering your standards, if anything you might just be raising them. I think killing say a 129in net P&Y buck on land you're not familiar with and have only had a few days to scout is far more challenging than say a 150in P&Y that you know where he is and have semi patterned him with scouting, camera, etc...

Good for you bud, it will only make you (a great hunter) an even betterhunter.

Agree 100% with John.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM

Actually, I think you've RAISED the standard. Killing 140's is hard enough, but to take P&Y's on public, and public you're not familiar with?? Well, that's got to be the hardest thing on the planet to do.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:48 PM

I agree. I think that is uping your goal quite a bit. If your public land is anything like here it is pressured pretty heavily and shooting a P&Y is no easy task. I wish you the best of lucking in doing so, plus it is always fun to find new honey holes for different areas!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Site Buck Guru

At least it will give you something to do for the rest of your life!

There are 72 counties in my state.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any suggestions for you Buckeye.. but I'll tell you this.. hunting from a smorgasboard of woods is alot of fun and challenging.

I've been jumping from spot to spot for probably 3/4's of my hunting career. At first it was tough.. but I know it made me a better hunter in the long run.

Love it now and wouldn't have it any other way.. very satisfying! I think you'll get a kick out of it. You'll really learn about yourself as a hunter doing it. And furthermore.. it will show you much humility.. which I believe is an essential part of the hunters learning process.

And it's cool as heck when you get the drop on a 140" on a piece of ground you never hunted once before.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Bartender

I am on board with this style in 08. I am finding 1st or 2nd hunts from a stand seem to be the best bet.
Lone Wolf whitetail addictions helped me in this thought process also. With all the available options in 2008
I am forced to do this which will be a good thing. Good Luck to all in 2008!
ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I don't have any suggestions for you Buckeye.. but I'll tell you this.. hunting from a smorgasboard of woods is alot of fun and challenging.

I've been jumping from spot to spot for probably 3/4's of my hunting career. At first it was tough.. but I know it made me a better hunter in the long run.

Love it now and wouldn't have it any other way.. very satisfying! I think you'll get a kick out of it. You'll really learn about yourself as a hunter doing it. And furthermore.. it will show you much humility.. which I believe is an essential part of the hunters learning process.

And it's cool as heck when you get the drop on a 140" on a piece of ground you never hunted once before.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thinka huntershould set seperate andrealistic goals for eachhunting scenario. Sounds like your goalsmake sense in regards to the different variables you'll be working with. Good luck man. Kill what ever makes you happy for any of thegiven equations you'll throwing yourself into next fall.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a good plan to me buckeye. It can only make you a better hunter. Not lowering your standards at all IMO. If anything I view it as raising them to kill a P&Y buck off public land you've never stepped foot on. Good for you. You got me thinking now [8D].

Quick Reply: New goals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.