Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting started bowhunting? >

Getting started bowhunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting started bowhunting?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Getting started bowhunting?

Hi, im 13 and i am interested in starting to bowhunt probably because of the long season.
i am wondering about what kind of gear to use? how about a tree stand? what about practicing?
arrow brand? i have a genisis bow but it's not apropriate to hunt with. i have a nearsightedaiming eye that makes it hard to aim.
thanks guys, you always have great info.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting started bowhunting?

I'm on the traditional side of bow hunting so there's not allot of good info I can give you. Hopefully by me posting this it will scoot your message back up on top of the forum so some of the compound guys can give you a hand on what to do. Good luck little feller!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Getting started bow hunting?

If I was you I would have my parents take me to a bow shop that has an indoor range and start the learning curve. You may even find someone selling a good bow fairly cheap, so start saving your money. You need to take the bow hunters safety course offered by your fish and game dept in your state.

If you want to learn bow hunting, hang out witharchery people. Get involved in the D shoots for practice. Don't ever forget you have a weapon that can kill, even family and friends if you are careless. Good Luck! SRM out.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

get some glasses or contacts and i would go with a good bow and shoot easton axis or excel arrows
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM

im pretty sure i want to start compund since i already have a goo starter bow though its not legal to hunt with. would you guys recomend any brand of hunting bow? any tips at shooting in general would help.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 PM

there is no budget here, i can buy a top-shelf bow, if it is actualy worth it and i can use it for awhile.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 PM

good info guys, keep it commin'
Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Go to the local archery shop and if they are any good they will be very helpful and have lots of information for you. All I can say is to practice alot and take your time to learn your bow.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Spike

they pretty much summed it up I started bowhunting last year at the age of 15. and ever since shooting my first doe at 10 yards i have been hooked. (pure Adreniline).If you go to the local archery shop there is someone always willing to give a helping hand with shot form and so on. as far as bows Diamond by bowtech or bowtech itself are the top of the line bows in my oppinion. (thats just me) everyone is different. after purchising the necessities then its shoot shoot and some more shooting until it just becomes natural to you. the main thing is just to not forget your main purpose and thats to have fun.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

Its agood idea to buy a quality bow, but get one that has a adjustable draw length so you can get at least a couple of seasons out of it rather than having to buy every year.

Quick Reply: Getting started bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.