Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which Steps or Sticks Do You Climb With? >

Which Steps or Sticks Do You Climb With?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Rapid Rails
9.09%
Summit Swiftree
3.03%
Summit Bucksteps
6.06%
Cranford Steps
3.03%
Gorilla Steps
9.09%
Other Steps
21.21%
Homemade
6.06%
Lone Wolf
27.27%
Other
15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Which Steps or Sticks Do You Climb With?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which Steps or Sticks Do You Climb With?

Just curious what everyone is using or have used. Did/do you like them? Why? or Why not?

I am using the Summit Swiftree (2nd Season) I like them a lot even though they are not very portable(noisy setup). I also have some of the Rivers Edge Stick Steps (also noisy setup). These setups are solid and pretty much care free once attached to the tree.

Thanks, LT

Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Which Steps or Sticks Do You Climb With?

Lone Wolf sticks and Cranford Ezy Climb steps.

The '07 sticks(what I have) are improved with more distance between the tree and the steps giving more footroom. Using sticks in sections like this, its easy to go around limbs. I pack mine out each time unless I am hunting the same stand the next day, so the light weight is a bonus. The pivoting brackets are the berries.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Strong Built 20ft ladder from Bass Pro. No complaints here.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rapid rails or Gorilla sticks. No more screw in steps for me since the day a good friend almost bled to death when one pulled out of the tree and he got hooked by another on his way down. He barely made it to the hospital. He got to the ER7 pints of blood lighter.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree BTB 100%. I know we are never suppose to fall, but if I ever did for whatever reason (I never climb without harness or belt or both) I would not want steel steps sticking out every 2 ft to break my fall. Geesh, were we taught to "Not" run with scissors.[:-]

LT
Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a set of Rapid Rails and they work nice, but most of the time I use the Cranford detachable folding steps. Great for quick in and out of tree stands in several locations. I just leave the lags in

Dan
Old 12-27-2007, 05:01 PM

i use buck steps, small, compact, easy to set up, 11 lbs!!!!!!!! can get up to 15ft.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got several sets of Summit's Bucksteps, four Lone Wolf climbing sticks, a couple ladder sticks from Dick's Sporting Goods (not sure of the brand), and a TON of Cranford's Deluxe Folding steps and Detachable steps...

They've all got their place, but I generally just go with the Cranfords when I can; I've been a fan of their steps for over a decade.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the EZ folding screw-ins for 25 years and never had a serious mis hap. However, I have read about some of the more serious problems that other hunters have had (I vividly recall reading about BTBowhunters friend Big Country) and this year I asked for (and got) the Lone Wolf sticks. After practicing with them a couple times, I'm looking forward to trying them out.

BTW- I also have the stick ladder by (former) ol' man and the ladder sections made by Strong Built -- they're both very noisy and weigh a TON. I set them up each year in a place they'll remain until seasons's end. Too heavy and cumbersome to move!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:29 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I always worry about that BTB!! Even witha harness on one of those steps could gut you if you fell on it right.

I use the Gorilla magnum step, big feet and small tree steps don't work too well. Most of the time I hunt with a climber but did put up a hang on this year. Had one of the steps pop out while standing on it this year. Was only the second step I put in so it wasn't a big deal but sure makes you think.

I'm getting a set of Lone Wolf Sticks this off season. I'm done with the steps.

For the record, the Gorilla magnum steps are just about impossible to start in the tree without a pilot hole of some sort.

Quick Reply: Which Steps or Sticks Do You Climb With?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.