Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics) >

Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

Good thread. One question, aren't the measurements supposed to be taken with a 1/4 inch wide metal tape measure?
For official measurements, I believe its max 1/4" wide tape.
Here is the official tape right here, yes its a 1/4" wide tape...

Old 12-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Do you have the steel cable as well?

It works real nice for the main beam measurements..... Much better than the 1/4" tape.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, they work very well! Been looking for it all day and can't find it! I'm good at hiding things from myself sometimes!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

All this coming from the guy that submitted an odd score for a deer he shot years ago!![8D] Sorry bud, somebody had to jab you!!

On a side note...if you don't have either tape at home, we will sometimes substitute a string and then measure it out on a regular tape.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

Bicycle brake cable works well also.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Do you have the steel cable as well?

It works real nice for the main beam measurements..... Much better than the 1/4" tape.

Yep....got a few of them. I use an aligator clip to mark the spot on the cable that needs to be measured.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IL_BOW_MAN

All this coming from the guy that submitted an odd score for a deer he shot years ago!![8D] Sorry bud, somebody had to jab you!!
The only thing odd about it was my measurement was1 inchon the light side of the official measurement.

Maybe I should have posted this back then so those who were uneducated with the scoring process wouldn't have had any questions.

On a side note...if you don't have either tape at home, we will sometimes substitute a string and then measure it out on a regular tape.
We???? Come on..... When was the last time you shot a whitetail..... With antlers [8D]You must be talking about road kill or sheds
Old 12-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in these 5 pages but how would you measure h3 and h4 for a 6 pointer? I'm guessing you take thesection of the main beam between h2 and the end of the main beam then make 2 mass measurements equally spaced apart in that run?

While were at it, just for sh**s and giggles, how would you make mass measurements for a 4 and a spike as you mentioned in PM?

btw- thanks again for the PM help. I did get 123 as well after you pinpointed my mistake. Oh, I was so giddy or "trigger happy" with this new found info that I measured my other buck too.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in these 5 pages but how would you measure h3 and h4 for a 6 pointer? I'm guessing you take thesection of the main beam between h2 and the end of the main beam then make 2 mass measurements equally spaced apart in that run?
Ona 6 point you would use the H3 measurement as your h4 measurement as well.....May sound odd, but is the correct way to do it...

While were at it, just for sh**s and giggles, how would you make mass measurements for a 4 and a spike as you mentioned in PM?
I have never looked into this... If I had to GUESS I would think you would go half way between the burr and the end of the main beam and use that circumference as H1-H4. Again this is only a guess.

btw- thanks again for the PM help. I did get 123 as well after you pinpointed my mistake. Oh, I was so giddy or "trigger happy" with this new found info that I measured my other buck too.
No problem. Glad to have helped. [8D]
Old 12-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

I always thought that you measured equal distances for the length of a spike.

For a 6 pointer you would measure the length of the beam from the center line of the g-2 to the end of the main beam and mark equal distances from the center line of the g-2 towards the tip for the h-3and that distance again towards the tip fir the h-4.

example: center of g-2 to the tip = 6"
h-3 taken 2" from the center of the g-2
h-4 taken 2" from the h-3

That way your h-3 and h-4 would be taken evenly along that 6". (2+2+2=6)

I know for 8 pointers the h-4 is taken at half way between the center line of the g-3 and the tip of the main beam.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'll ask when I get mine scored in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Measuring a rack at home. Second and final part of series.(lot's of pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.