Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cabelas Wool Suits ??? >

Cabelas Wool Suits ???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cabelas Wool Suits ???

Old 12-20-2007, 09:47 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Default Cabelas Wool Suits ???

Anybody have their jacket and bibs/pants, wool of course. Looks like they have them with and wind proof membrane and the dry plus waterproofing membrane. They look nice and affordable.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Default RE: Cabelas Wool Suits ???

Do you have a link? If we're talking about the same ones, I looked at them last winter. I don't believe the outter shell is 100% wool. I forogt what it was mixed with. They looked pretty decent, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
RT1
Fork Horn

Rut junkies?? Looks interesting. I'll check it out more.
Nice Website and congratulations on the resort and wyatt.
I'll have to check with cabela's about the details of the suit.

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Do you have a link? If we're talking about the same ones, I looked at them last winter. I don't believe the outter shell is 100% wool. I forogt what it was mixed with. They looked pretty decent, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

ttt
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 PM

I believe this is the suit you are talking about.....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020924931939a&type=product&cm Cat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&No=18&Ne=2510&Ntt=wool&am p;noImage=0&QueryText=wool&Ntk=Products&am p;Ntx=matchall&trueNum=200&N=2782

I think this is a different suit than the one I was talking about earlier......You may want to read some of the reviews on the website. I had a hunch that the Dry-Plus lining would make a bit of noise when moving....and from some of the reviews, that may be the case. I would definately see it in person before I bought it.

Here is another wool product I highly reccommend......I've had mine for 4 years and wear it a ton. I especially love wearing it still hunting.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006608930449a&type=product&cm Cat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&No=36&Ne=2510&noImage=0&a mp;Ntt=wool&Ntk=Products&QueryText=wool&am p;Ntx=matchall&trueNum=200&N=2782
Old 12-20-2007, 02:01 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

I read the reviews on Cabelas site about the dry plus. I think I will pass on that. The second link looks like a winner for a lighter layering system possibly.
I read the reviews on the Columbia wool suit and and was a bit surprised on how the rating and reviews were. For the money, maybe the best buy. Do you know anybody that has used the colubia suit?
Thanks for the links
Rick

I believe this is the suit you are talking about.....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020924931939a&type=product&cm Cat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&No=18&Ne=2510&Ntt=wool&am p;noImage=0&QueryText=wool&Ntk=Products&am p;Ntx=matchall&trueNum=200&N=2782

I think this is a different suit than the one I was talking about earlier......You may want to read some of the reviews on the website. I had a hunch that the Dry-Plus lining would make a bit of noise when moving....and from some of the reviews, that may be the case. I would definately see it in person before I bought it.

Here is another wool product I highly reccommend......I've had mine for 4 years and wear it a ton. I especially love wearing it still hunting.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006608930449a&type=product&cm Cat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&No=36&Ne=2510&noImage=0&a mp;Ntt=wool&Ntk=Products&QueryText=wool&am p;Ntx=matchall&trueNum=200&N=2782
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM

Rick,

I know a few and they were very unimpressed. How you use it may be a factor though. If you are just sitting and not walking through anything that may stick to it, you may be ok.....here's a true story from 2003....

My brother and a couple of his buddies were hunting with me in Canada. My brother was wearing Filson wool and another one of our buddies was wearing Columbia wool. Both new suits. They walked through a dry beaver pond and through some thistles. When they got through our buddy had thistles everywhere stuck to him....my brother had none. By the end of the week our buddy's pants looked like they went through a war and my brothers looked like brand new.....and still do today.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

Oh i believe you, I'm just hoping not to spend 500-600 for a suit. Might have to though. I still have to check out the other brand names that have been listed. I think weatherby is no longer supplying wool suits.

In your picture on this site is that a wolf?
Explain the rut junkies & the wayyou video tape.

Rick,

I know a few and they were very unimpressed. How you use it may be a factor though. If you are just sitting and not walking through anything that may stick to it, you may be ok.....here's a true story from 2003....

My brother and a couple of his buddies were hunting with me in Canada. My brother was wearing Filson wool and another one of our buddies was wearing Columbia wool. Both new suits. They walked through a dry beaver pond and through some thistles. When they got through our buddy had thistles everywhere stuck to him....my brother had none. By the end of the week our buddy's pants looked like they went through a war and my brothers looked like brand new.....and still do today.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Spike

I own the Columbia wool jacket and pants combo. It is warm if you layer properly, and Dan is correct that it does catch a lot of briars and such. My biggest problem with the columbia is that there is no liner in thier wool. This might not be a problem if your hunting in a sopt with little to no wind, but where I hunt it tends to be about 0 to 10 degrees and windy as heck and the wind cuts right through the wool. Becuase of this I end up layerig it to the point I would be better off with something else.

I plan on getting some new wool this year, and a lot of people here have recommended and spoke well of the Gray Wolf Woolens wool suits, and I have heard good things about Beagle Outdoor Wear as well. But I have not tried any of it as of yet.

So I would stay away from the columbia suit if your in really cold with strong winds(which I am guessing Michigan has )
Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 PM
RT1
Fork Horn

appreciate the info, it is very windy here in the winter. There are few windless days in the winter here. Alot of People wear carhart clothing for hunting in michigan. It's warm and it cuts the wind right out. I wear it everytime now. It is noisy if you have the duck shell finished cloth.
I definetly want a liner like the cabelas jacket has, but i'm worried about noise.
ORIGINAL: RoundTopGobbler

I own the Columbia wool jacket and pants combo. It is warm if you layer properly, and Dan is correct that it does catch a lot of briars and such. My biggest problem with the columbia is that there is no liner in thier wool. This might not be a problem if your hunting in a sopt with little to no wind, but where I hunt it tends to be about 0 to 10 degrees and windy as heck and the wind cuts right through the wool. Becuase of this I end up layerig it to the point I would be better off with something else.

I plan on getting some new wool this year, and a lot of people here have recommended and spoke well of the Gray Wolf Woolens wool suits, and I have heard good things about Beagle Outdoor Wear as well. But I have not tried any of it as of yet.

So I would stay away from the columbia suit if your in really cold with strong winds(which I am guessing Michigan has )

Quick Reply: Cabelas Wool Suits ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.