Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Mathews SB guys LOVE their bow and HATE the grip? >

Any Mathews SB guys LOVE their bow and HATE the grip?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Mathews SB guys LOVE their bow and HATE the grip?

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Any Mathews SB guys LOVE their bow and HATE the grip?

I used to have one (Switchback).....and I have a reason for asking
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 AM

Default RE: Any Mathews SB guys LOVE their bow and HATE the grip?

Hey Jeff...actually, I didn't mind the originalgrip. I ordered a Torque Less primarily for aesthetics. I do like the way it feels, but not sure it makes that much of a difference in my shooting. I am always amused when when the "haters" try and bash a fantastic bow because of a grip when they are so easy to change...plus, so many custom grip companies to choose from. I've posted this before, but here is theTorqueless on my'95 Switchback. Best regards...

Old 12-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on preference. Personally, like the feel of the grip on my Switchback XT.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't have a Switchback but my Drenalin is my 5th Mathews bow and I've never had a problem with the way that the grip felt.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I had one, guys....and they're fantastic bows. I just hated the grip......and this thread is in NO way a slam on Mathews.

GREAT bows.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have a SB, but I have a Drenalin and the first thing I did was change the grip. I prefer a slim grip and don't care for Mathews stock grips. I replaced it with a Tourquless.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Switchback and I do like the grip. I have thought about getting a different one for 2 reasons...

1. I'm a 6'5" ex-basketball player with big hands and the grip feels a little small
2.It can feel a little "slick" on cold mornings or with certain gloves on.

Obviously it isn't bothering me too bad...since I've had it (less than 2 years) I've killed a wild boar and 6 deer with it.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrats to all you guys who love them. I was under a misconception.

Rock on.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff - I usesome kind of a big woodengrip on my Iron Mace. It came stockwith carbon/fiber sideplates, but I took them off b/c the riser gets cold, and I don't like the metal touching my hand.

So I just wrapped hockey tape around the riser and shot it like that for a little while, and it worked fine. Well, then I went up to my uncle's shop to crest my arrows, and he started ragging on me - said that I was making my pretty newbow look trailerparkghetto with the hockey tape grip. So, I stuckthe wooden grip over the hockey tape just to shut him up.

I guess when you think about it - "grips" are overrated as far as deer hunting goes. If you shoot bow long enough, you learn the right way to hold it, and it's not rocket science. I mean, if you're anchored consistently, your bubble is level, and you're basically holding the bow with just your thumb - it doesn't matter if you're using a grip made out of polished petrified dog poop. It's a machine, and shooting it is a mechanical process.

Maybe for a competitive archer, they're looking for something more consistent...but from a hunter's perspective: I don't think your bow grip will ever be the difference between getting a deer and eating the tag.

You can see it in this picture. It's not a huge grip, but it's not slim either. I've played with it on, with it off - and it makes no difference. To me, at least.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think everyone is looking into this way too deeply.He's not trying to bash anything here and not wondering just to poke holes in Mathews...........

Anyone have a Mathews with a stock grip that doesn't like the grip?

Quick Reply: Any Mathews SB guys LOVE their bow and HATE the grip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.