Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"In" or "Out"?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "In" or "Out"?

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Suppose they opened it to thin the herd and I was drawn..would I be a hiprocate???

(ps that will probably never happen..but the question is still valid)
I think the point is that if you tried to pass it off as fair chase then there are those that would view you as a hypocrite.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Much comes into play with the High Fence deal. I am out, nor will I pay to hunt one. DIY and fair chase whitetails for me, I'm not saying no food plots or feeders just not into the high fence thing. Most times with high fences the people do it for money and you have all kinds of unnatural exotics to maximize revenue. You may have to let the Zebra pass to get that whitetail and don't worry about having a hunting license in your pocket just replace that with your check book. However for the RJR deal, it is really not the same thing, soI would consider doing it or better yet bring a kid or someone that needs to gain some confidence hunting.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

One of my favorite movies is "Open Range". Draw your own conclusions from it.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

"Popcorn" man strikes again! And we're off........
Jeff .... don't be hatin You are the popcorn man
Old 12-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I believe it. If I had several thousand acres of my own land, and the finances to do so, I'd fence it in.

It would keep people out and give you direct influence over the herd balance, nutrition and so on.
I would have to agree!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you are talking about private companies that might fece the property in an attempt to avoid ahuge lawsuit if a trespasser decides to hunt on the property.........yes I think in this case it is to keep the idiots out.

If you are talking about a private land owner.......who hunts I think it is to keep the deer in. There are a lot of landowners that have problems with trespassers and poaching, but imo it takes a special kind of idiot to find resolution in a fence. Nobody likes trespassers or poachers, but building a fence to keep them out is a little over the top for me.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:57 AM

I fence mine not to keep people out or wild game in. I have a high fence to keep all my exotics in. When you pay good money for an animal, you dont want them wondering off.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Most people put up fences for one or more of the three reasons.

To mark property boundary

To keep livestock in

To keep predators out

Paul
Old 12-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Bartender

Bob in this case I would have to jump at the opportunity. < I am having a major brain fart on spelling this word.[:@]
ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

It's funny most of us detest high fence ranches. I hope Buckeye checks in to this thread..Cuz we have a local Area called Meander Lake. It's where most of our area's water supply comes from. You are not allowed anywhere near it for fishing/boating/hunting/hiking NOTHING! for fear of contaminating the water (?). The whole area is fenced and it's (guessing) several thousand acres. I could drive by there right now (high-noon)and see deer feeding near the roads (other side of fence).

The divers putting up a new bridge say there are catfish down there the size of men. I can see rubs in there on trees so big, it's scary.

Most of us in this area would love to get a crack at going in there. Does it make a moraldifference that the area wasn't designed for hunting?? Suppose they opened it to thin the herd and I was drawn..would I be a hiprocate???

(ps that will probably never happen..but the question is still valid)
Old 12-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

But....I've heard the high fence guys say the reason for their fences wasn't to keep the animals "IN".....but to keep others (PEOPLE) "OUT".

The more I think about this......the moreI believe it.
I have some swampland to sell you if you're interested. It's a really good piece of property..... honestly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.