Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Success"

Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM

Default "Success"

Take a look around the forums the past few months and you might see multiple threads posted on HNI exclaiming another “successful” season. The pictures and words paint a wonderful picture of how that fateful moment transpired. When arrow met flesh and death had become certain. While the story may have been only a tiny glimpse of your season, anyone who has sat in a tree, waiting to capitalize, can relate to your painting of words. While I view the various threads here on HNI, I can’t help but be happy for each and everyone who have found their “success” this year. For many others, “success” may have not been achieved. Many are battling extreme temperatures, snow, wind, and freezing rain to cap off their seasons. Their seasons may have been filled with multiple trials and tribulations but they continue to press, for that one distinctive sound, the sound of a whitetail approaching stand.

For hunters, the idea of eating tag soup is often a long way from a defining or “successful” season. We dread the idea of going an entire season without that feeling of reverence and accomplishment, as we approach a whitetail which has fallen victim to our bow. Lacking that natural high, we are left with a feeling of emptiness and questions. What could have been? Next year seems so far away when we are left empty-handed.

My season was far from “successful” in terms of what I accomplished as a hunter. But the feeling I get coming closer to end of this season is much different than I have ever experienced before. Follow as I journal this “successful” season of mine….

October 1st: While thousands enter the woods today, for opening day of bow season, I spent quality time with my wife, whose birthday happens to be on this exciting day. I cherish the moment with my wife, knowing good and well this season might be one to remember.

October 13th: Some may have already tasted victory as they approach an expired whitetail. Today, I taste the sweet memory of my son’s 3rd birthday. It is a moment in time I can never have back. I would rather be here than sitting in stand. The smiles and cake are well worth the sacrifice.

October 25th: Many are in high anticipation of the coming rut. Soon, bucks may begin making their yearly mistake, making themselves vulnerable to hunters via their natural desires. I sit neither in the stand nor a blind, but my eve is going to test my emotions still the same. They come quick,nurses moving at a frantic pace prepping my wife for emergency C-section. From the moment his heart slows to the time I receive the news, thirteen fateful minutes pass. The doctor brings relieving news, I am again the father of a healthy baby boy. Caleb, my second son, was ushered into this world on the wings of angels. God lent me another miracle of life. In my head, the woods still calls, but my heart is full of a much different joy.

November seems to come and go. School is doing a fine job of burying me. I am frustrated as student teaching is limiting any time I have to put in the woods. I am beginning to chalk this season as lost each night I walk towards my truck in complete darkness, after another long day at school. Weekends are no better, the frantic pace of the labor and delivery room must have followed my wife and I home. I am seeing having a three year old and a newborn does not equal abundance of time in the hardwoods. Once again, the sacrifice is overwhelmingly worth it. Shotgun season is nearing, but I will pay little homage to the stand.

Opening weekend of shotgun season here in IL, once again, I won’t find myself in the stand. My dad gets a chance to go out for an afternoon hunt. I remember getting the phone call, it was my dad. He had a buck on the ground and I knew where I needed to be. A sense of excitement, like I had never felt before inside the woods, transcended over me when I wrapped my hands on those antlers. It was puzzling to me, I hadn’t been the one to pull the trigger or even had a chance to step foot inside the woods this year; yet, I could not help but feel overjoyed and proud for my father. It was a memorable and lasting moment, one I will never forget. The fact became clear and I was beginning to swallow. I may not get to the woods this year. But nevertheless, I felt satisfied.

Through the beginning of December I continued to battle school, the growing pains of expanding our family, and the anticipation of graduation approaching. I found myself returning to HNI occasionally at night, but the successes of others filled any void I had. Many of those who I came to know through GTG, especially[/b] Mobow, had experienced their own “success”. Still others are continuing to battle the harsh extremes known as late season hunting in hopes to achieve their “success”.

This past Sunday, after much thought of dropping out due to having a family and working full-time on our family farm, I graduated college with highest honors. The though that I had finally finished student teaching and received my Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education is just now beginning to settle with me. Something that seemed so difficult and overwhelming in the beginning had now been completed. In similar fashion to hunting, college, for now, is over. A season of my life ends and I now have the opportunity to look back upon the trials and tribulations, successes and failures of the past few years. I had reason to want to drop out and quit, many feel the same when hunting. The lack of time I had to spend with my family was tearing me up inside. While I can never get that time back, I am happy I finished the race. How many of you are happy you are choosing to finish your season out, strong and proud, regardless of the measure of success you currently claim?

In terms of hunting, these past few months may be deemed by some, extremely “un-successful”; but, I feel the exact opposite. I strongly feel success should not be measured merely in approaching that wild animal after you tamed it with an arrow. No, I feel success is found anytime our desire to be in the woods multiples. This year, whether I step foot in the woods or not, my desire to hunt has multiplied. I knew what I had to accomplish and it had little to do with hanging stands and scouting bucks. Rather, I needed to finish school, care for my newborn son, be a rock and provider for my family, and curb my impulses to hunt this year to further develop the drive I need for next.

For a long time, I valued “success” only in terms of what I shot and how did it measure up. I am happy to say this season honestly changed the way I look at “success”. I feel success can come in many different forms and it shouldn’t be assessed through comparisons to others. For me, comparison to others isn’t what hunting should solely be about anymore. I found “success” without even climbing in a tree. Never before could I have said this season was “successful” yet it was on so many different levels.

Below are some of my “trophy photos” picture which only give you a glimpse of the “success” I felt I achievedthroughout this past season. While they are far from “trophy photos” from the success I found in the field, I am proud to share these fond memories all the same!

My son Mason's 3rd Birthday Party....this is his "fake" cheese smile.

My newborn son Caleb, eating like he seems to always do!

My dad's 10 point taken first shotgun season in IL. I didn't geta field picture but wanted to share the memory. I have never been more excited to pull a deer out of the woods than I was that day. I was so happy for my father.

And finally, a picture taken Sunday, after my graduation. I can finally say this chapter of my life is complete. I am excited to see what God has in store for me in the upcoming years.

Thanks for reading if you stuck that one out.....

Dave, that would have been added a long time ago if only I'd come across the thread sooner. Thanks for an especially humbling read.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Success"

WOW. Great read. Indeed you should feel nothing but the upmostsuccess from your "season" No deer that you can harvest can even hold a candle near to your any of the things you've accomplised this "season". Great Pics. Congradulations on everything and good luckon this new successful season you've just started. I want to say more but dont have anything else to say.lol Again Congradulations!!

This post deserves a dancing bannana guy!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Site Bouncer

Great story.....kinda puts things into perspective don't it?

Congrats on the new one and your graduation.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bols, That was an awesome post bud, im speechless. You have a great looking family and should be proud You can pull a chair out from my behind any time congrats on the new one!! It was an honor meeting you at the last G2G.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on graduation and having your priorities straight. I also didn't hunt much from the age of 18 through 25 due to college, marriage, and starting my career.

But in the blink of an eye you'll be taking those boys hunting and involved in their activities and the real fun begins. Savor every moment.

This past September I had a coveted elk archery tag for unit 16E of New Mexico for an 8 day hunt. My son had a football game scheduled right in the middle of it. When I planned the hunt, I convinced myself that I could miss just one game. My son was okay with it and besides, its only Freshman Football anyway, right?

But when it came to the drop dead time I would have to leave in order to make it back for the game, I packed my gear and headed home. I have no regrets. My son only has 4 years in High School while I've got the rest of my life to hunt.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Dominant Buck

"Success" knows many roads. Yours is long and wide. Congratulations.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just goes to show you don't have to kill a monster buck to have a very successful season. Success can come in many forms. Congrats on your season "Benjamin" Bols.

You have a long deer hunting career ahead of you, and it was wise to take some time off this year and take care of other things that are more important right now.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 AM

Bols, first of all let me just say that was an amazing piece of writing bud. I guess you really WERE paying attention all those years in school!

In many ways, your season was infinitely more successful. I killed my first buck, but I'll take your season anytime. I'm sitting here desperately attempting to come up with some romantic words, but there's really just one that comes to mind.

RESPECT! You've got mine bro.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you for sharing your success with us. I have taken your words to heart this morning. You see, I have a daughter that just yesterday,12-17-07, turned three. I have a wife that is pregnant and due a couple of months before bow season begins next year. And I have enrolledin some classes for the spring semester here at The University of Dallas where I work. I'm going to save your story of success. I found it hitting close to home this morning and may just use it to remind me of what is really important in my life in the future. Congratulations on a very successful year!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on ALL of your successes!

Quick Reply: "Success"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.