Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Butchering Knife?? Cheap or Expensive >

Butchering Knife?? Cheap or Expensive

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Butchering Knife?? Cheap or Expensive

Old 12-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Butchering Knife?? Cheap or Expensive

First off let me apologize for not knowing where to correctly post this??

What do you guys use for the actual deboning of the meat from your game??
I myself have always used my hunting knife and big butcher style knifes, but I helped a buddy with his deer and he uses filet knives and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Why I have not bee doing this for years past is beyond me????

The question I have is this though.... I have heard a few people say "dont buy an expensive filet knife, they are not worth it"??? Now to me I am firm believer in the better the the quality of the metal, the better edge and life of the knife(hunting knives atleast)??

So if anyone uses filet knives, do you use cheapos or expensive ones?? Is there much of a difference in the metal quality on filet knives??? THANKS
Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Butchering Knife?? Cheap or Expensive

I've used the basic old Marttiini fillet knife for years.The one with the birch handle and leather sheath you see all the time at WallyWorld with either Rapala or Normark on the package.It's not expensive but not a Chinese madeel cheapo either. Just like any other decent knife, a few licks on a sharpening steel once in awhile keeps it going a long time between sharpening jobs.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use fillet knives as well, i also use my hunting knife, my buck. There is nothing worse then having to sharpen your knife every other cut. A good quality knife is well worth it, I would spend the money any day then put up with a cheap knife that can't hold an edge! I think there's a huge difference in the metal quality in some knives. Sometimes finding the knive you want takes a while though. Once you've found it your set though!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 AM

My family has butcher shops in our grocery store. I use the same knives for deer as they would for beef or pork. I used to use fillet knives, but nothing compares to a good quality boning knife.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use boning knives to butcher our 20 dear a year, and they work great!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a good quality boning knife at a restaurant supply store, for about $15. The same ones you see at the supermarket butcher shops with the white plastic handle. They sharpenup really well and hold an edge good as long as you hone them with the steel every now and then.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ibit the bullet and boughtvery nice Henckel5 star knife set and they are amazing....hold an edge very well. I used to use some cheaper ones but I found that I didnt maintain them with as much gusto as I do the good set.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have a hand me down knife. Like a fillet but broader. Works very well, very sharp. No idea what it is. Pretty sure you can find them fairly cheap in a second hand store. They wouldn't know anything about them.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lubricious

Ibit the bullet and boughtvery nice Henckel5 star knife set and they are amazing....hold an edge very well. I used to use some cheaper ones but I found that I didnt maintain them with as much gusto as I do the good set.
I have a nice Wusdorf-Trident set too,but I really like the cheap boning knife from the restaurant supply store. The really expensive ones hold an edge better,but having a harder stainless steel they are more difficult to sharpen.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:07 PM

I have this kit and it is very nice..........done probably 50+ deer with it and no complaints........holds an edge long and gets VERY sharp.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

I also bought a couple kits on sale at Gander for $20 each as throw aways for my trip this year and ended up bringing them home because they do a decent job as well.

You could use a $5 steak knife from the kitchen and get the job done...........trust me........I have.

Quick Reply: Butchering Knife?? Cheap or Expensive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.