Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do u do with your treestands after the season? >

What do u do with your treestands after the season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do u do with your treestands after the season?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Spike

Default What do u do with your treestands after the season?

Do you guys pull all of your stands out or do u leave a certain few in the woods (not wanting to intrude on a honey hole)? Personally i have to pull all of mine out this year with new properties available. Better properties that is.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 AM

Default RE: What do u do with your treestands after the season?

I've always felt it's a good idea to pull them every year, just from a safety standpoint. Being exposed to the elements year round takes it's toll on all things, stands included.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pull em every year. The few times I left em all year, some of the chains grew into the tree. Over time steel rusts, web straps are vulnerable to UV damage and bugs can eat out the wood around screw in steps. A good friend and member here, Big Country, almost bled out in the woods after a screw in step from the year before pulled right out on him while he was climbing. He got caught by another one on his way down and nearly severed his left arm.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Pull them, inspect them, repaint or repair them and hang them in the garage until next summer. Treat them just like any other life support gear. Your life does depend on them every time you climb up.

Also, I have had a couple land owners that did not like to see them hanging in the woods all year.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Most of mine are ladder stands,I just leave them up. They are just a pain to take down and haul out every year. I do however, try to take all the stuff off that has material on it. The next year I go out and check all the bolts and straps, replace straps that are getting old or chew marks in them.Also check bungy straps between ladder sections. I have had some of mine up for 5-6 yrs. They still are very solid.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Good point on the ladder stands! They are a hassle to move and put up. Mine stay put too.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pull mine on the public grounds I dont live near... leave the rest up. Check them every spring for cracks though.. if you gonna leave them up..
Old 12-14-2007, 11:41 AM

I leave them up. I like to use them sometimes when scouting. I hunt on land that i own so its not a big deal. If i find a better spot to place one then i will move one from a less productive area. I check to make sure they are in good condition every time i get to a stand.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one spot that I can deer hunt year round so that stand stays up. My other property, stands come down.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually pull all of mine at the end of bow season (Feb.) and hang them up in the barn... When spring comes I fix any needed repairs or paint.

Quick Reply: What do u do with your treestands after the season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.