Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going to do some late season hunting this weekend. >

Going to do some late season hunting this weekend.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to do some late season hunting this weekend.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Going to do some late season hunting this weekend.

I'm stoked about hunting the late season here too. I hope the highs are around 0 from Christmas to Jan 6th.....nothing like freezing your arse off WI! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our bow season ends in Feb. so I'm sure I'll be feeling some 0-10 degree weather. It is Awesome! The bad thing about hunting until Feb. is the chance you might think a deeris a bigfatty doe, but is really a buck that has dropped his rack....
Old 12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

guys throw some "snowy" buck pix in here.. Dan I know you have some bitter cold bucks photos! .... love to see any of them..
Old 12-14-2007, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

guys throw some "snowy" buck pix in here.. Dan I know you have some bitter cold bucks photos! .... love to see any of them..
The only one I have on the computer is my rifle kill from Saskatchewan this year......this here is the definition of cold and is the closest I have ever come to frost bite. Check out the ice build up on his head.

Oops, I guess I have 3....the other two are rifle killsfrom Ontario....not as cold, but still a little snowy.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

The body of that second buck is BIG! Someday I'll have to make a trip to Canada...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan, thats a great pix ofyour buck with the snow on his face... love it..hahahah you look nice andtoasty yourself! cant see the others...grrrrrrrrrr freeging red x's

what are you wearing for clothing in the extreme cold? just curious.. say 10 down to below 0 ????

(boots???) I need better cold weather boots...

Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome pics guys. Slammer bucks too.

Danny - I like that wool coat you're sporting in your top picture. Looks warm... Details on where that jacket came from? Can't beat good wool and berber in the snow.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Dan, thats a great pix ofyour buck with the snow on his face... love it..hahahah you look nice andtoasty yourself! cant see the others...grrrrrrrrrr freeging red x's

what are you wearing for clothing in the extreme cold? just curious.. say 10 down to below 0 ????

Top: Under Armour T-shirt, UA Cold Gear mock, Cabelas wool sweater with windshear (you'll see it in the other 2 pics at home), Weatherby wool vest, Weatherby wool jacket, Berber or Whitewater neck gaitor and fleece or my "Russian" hat. (above) LOL

Bottoms: UA Cold Gear long johns, wool long johns, polartec fleece long johns and Weatherby wool cargo pants with windshear.

Feet: Cabelas Ultimax liner sock, Cabelas Outfitter Series heavyweight wool socks and Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boot with a toe warmer in the bottom for all day sits.

The key to the boots is to get them too big. I normally wear a size 10.5-11, but these are size 12. I won't be walking far in them, so the size doesn't matter....I just want the extra room to be able to move my feet.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Top: Under Armour T-shirt, UA Cold Gear mock, Cabelas wool sweater with windshear (you'll see it in the other 2 pics at home), Weatherby wool vest, Weatherby wool jacket, Berber or Whitewater neck gaitor and fleece or my "Russian" hat. (above) LOL

Bottoms: UA Cold Gear long johns, wool long johns, polartec fleece long johns and Weatherby wool cargo pants with windshear.

Feet: Cabelas Ultimax liner sock, Cabelas Outfitter Series heavyweight wool socks and Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boot with a toe warmer in the bottom for all day sits.

The key to the boots is to get them too big. I normally wear a size 10.5-11, but these are size 12. I won't be walking far in them, so the size doesn't matter....I just want the extra room to be able to move my feet.
Dan, exactly what I was looking for, especially with the boots info. I like the idea of that toe warmer for all day sits. bigger boots too...If that works in Canada it should work great here. Those boots should work good for Snowmobiling too.. I'll check tonight at Cabelas to see what they have in stock, I need to get some new boots asap.. for this late archery season and in ND after xmas...I hear it can get really cold out there too...

one other thing.. a glove that is water proof, warm yet conducive for bowhunting these late seasons... any recommendations... I am currently using a gortex thinsulated medium weight glove .... I have beencoupling it witha thin wool glove liner... inside of the gortex gloves.. my hands are good for about 3 hours, especially my bow hand,since I liketo hold my bow at all times..(may have to give that up in this cold and use a muff or something)anyway...they start to getpretty cold.. temps of 15-25 after the 3 hour mark..
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Ahhhh...Gloves......My nemesis in the late season. What I usually do is wear a muff and put handwarmers in light UA gloves and handwarmers in the muff. If its really cold I wear a chopper mitt on my bow hand with a handwarmer in it. I also like the Camoskinz line of gloves from Cabelas and also their facemasks. Check them out there too tonight.....you'll love them. I have one pair of each kind.....unlined, thisulate, thinsualte with gore-tex.

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: In the late season I always hang my bow on a Realtree EZ hanger or something similar....that way I keep my had warmer and its right in front of me to grab.

Edited again to add: My least favorite of the Camoskinz gloves were the ones with gore-tex....they were not as warm as the straight insulated ones.

Quick Reply: Going to do some late season hunting this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.