Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your strangest recovery? >

What is your strangest recovery?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your strangest recovery?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Default What is your strangest recovery?

This is a neat thread I think. We all have recovered deer, some easy some not. I would say my strangest recovery was deer I shot on a Friday afternoon, we recovered it the next morining after tracking for about 200 yds. When we skinned it out, it was the same deer that my buddy shot 3 days before in the hind end, the deer came back to the same stand 3 days later and i shot him. Strange but not as strange as some others Ive heard. let's hear it...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your strangest recovery?

I put my 10 yard pinright on his heart, and released. I thought it was a good shot, but I was a little low, and little far back. I figured it would go 30 yards and expire. We ended up tracking it for almost 2 MILES!!!, mainly it ran in circles. It was snowing out, very hard and the blood trail was getting covered up, I either had to find it now, or never. Finally we caught up with it, and as soon as I released my arrow, it turned at the last second and I spined it. This hunt was not my best moment, but I was glad it was over.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one on the 23rd of Nov. on the last Friday on gun season in WI. I was hunting on my brother in laws land and on the way to my stand in the morning I hear something to my right.

I shine my flashlight over and see a doe bedded down and she tries to get up but is having a hard time. She was hitting trees and other stuff. I didn't want to shoot because it was pitch dark out and it was an hour before shooting time. So I sat in my stand for about an hour and a half and this same doe came out. I could tell she was limping on her back leg. She was about 35 yards away so it was an easy shot with the gun but I never let a deer suffer if I see one wounded.

Found out while we were skinning her that her back tendon on her right leg was cut somehow so that leg was pretty much useless. I guess this was why she was limping. Also, found some bruised meet on one of her sides. It wasn't gang green or anything but it was blood shoot and was hit by a car. My brother in law said he hit a doe with his truck 2 weeks before while he was on his way out bowhunting.

He hit her on the same side she had the blood shot meet on so we figured it was the same deer since where we hunt up there it's back roads and not many people are traveling on those roads.

That was kinda strange that I ended up shooting that doe when he hit it just 2 weeks before.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was a gun kill, but a nice recovery.

It was Friday night and I put a quick (questionable to me now) shot on the biggest buck of my life. I went to look at the point of impact and found bloody acorns all over the place. Obviously I had hit gut, so I let the deer lay and backed out. Six hours later, 12 at night, we were out looking due to snowfall that was coming hard. We had no blood whatsoever, but every 10 yards we would find another bloody acorn. The deer was traveling a trail that was headed straight towards a large development. (I had permission to be on the land). We soon gave up and figured we would grid search it in the morning because the snow had covered the remaining acorns. The next morning I woke my dad up at 5:30 sharp and we were out there well before daylight, because I was waaaaay anxious. We started looking for almost three hours and nothing. We had decided to head back for something to eat and possibly come out later. On our way back, I was dragging behind checking every nook and cranny I could. I was looking up towards the development when I notice a large clump of snow with brown underneath it. I yell at my dad and crash through the brush and jump on top of it. As I was running up on it, I could see the massive antler coming out the snow. Now, I have my biggest buck to show for it. Thanks for reading.

I know, no snow here because of rain and melt off.

And the Mount.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was 15 I was bow hunting on the ground and a doe fawn walked in front of me at 17 yards. I hit her high in the shoulder, arrow went in about 10" or so. We tracked her that night and then quit. Went back the next morning and tracked her all day and jumped her at 10 yards, I couldn't shoot her because 2 other guys were on the other side of her. We later lost blood that day and went back again the following day and found nothing! A day later my dad came home from an elk hunting trip in Colorado. Helooks at me and says, Steve were going back out there, I'm pretty sure I know where your deer went to bed down at. Sure enough we went out there and dad jumped the doe fawn where he figured he would and it ran accross the river by my brother who took a running shot at 30 yards with his compound (He was 12 years old at the time) in the river and he nailed it good in the lungs. I seen the whole thing happen as i was running 90 mph along the bank towards the deer. I dove off the 10' river bank like an olympian swimmer or diver into the river and grabbed my now dead deer! I was one happy SOB that day!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

I had a big doe come at 20 yds. at 8 a.m. one morning. I shot and watched my arrow zip through right in the heart. The leaves were about a foot deep and dry as corn flakes. She jumped put her head down and "shuffled" away. From my stand I could see through the grown over apple orchard I was in to the steep hill side about 200 yds. away. As she went out of hearing I see her heading "UP" the hill. I sat there for a few minutes very confused and decided to back out for a couple of hours. I went to my inlaws for breakfast and brought my mother-in-law with me. (She was bowhunting at that time). We went to a grape tangle where I last saw the deer at the top of the hill. On the way in we jumped her and watched as she shuffled back down towards a creek. There was good blood on both sides of the trail so I said lets go and 4 hrs. After my hit we heard her go down for good. She had went to the top of the hill twice more and that's where she fell. I have a close up of me holding the heart with the good old Bear Razorhead "X" through the top of it!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

2006 I shot a nice 10 I got out of the stand waited until dark and got my buddies to help look for him. It was about an hour after I shot him when we started looking and we had good blood for a while. We came to a spot where the trail split off into 3 differant directions so we each took a trail and I saw him first So I yelled out I FOUND HIM! As I moved closer He picked his head up and looked at me. My heart sank in my chest and I told everybody to stay still. He died with in a couple of minutes but it was scary for a little bit.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

my friend shot a small 6 pt with his bow and did not find it....then a week later in gun season he shot the same deer (arrow STILL sticking out of it)but this time he dropped it.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

last years Doe, she traveled 500 yards up and down hills leaving a sidewalk
size bloodtrail with a perfect doublelung pass through shot. My son had just shot her sister a minute before i shot mine, she must have been pumped up on adreniline. that deer should never had gone that far.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I hit a branch and ended up hitting a buck in the back FOOT! About 1 inch above the hoof, we tracked it for a while and actually had decent blood before it ran out. We went home and had the idea to take our new beagle pup on a leash and see if he could pick up a trail...this dog had no training nor was he ever intended to be a tracking dog...just a pet..anyway that dog sprinted down the deers trail with no blood dragging my dad behind him for about 500 yards, and we finally found the buck, not proud of the shot but it was an awesome recovery...

Quick Reply: What is your strangest recovery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.