Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell me about Rocket Steelheads >

Tell me about Rocket Steelheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell me about Rocket Steelheads

Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Tell me about Rocket Steelheads

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: Bols

Dem dare is some bad boys.....They work great on deer too....
Great product review...you get paid for those gems? Makes me wanna go out and buy a coupledozen.

I now see how you got over 10,000 posts so quickly.....
You, too, could be this good......BUT, you really need to be in the woods to test them out, which of course leaves you in the dark......Then again, you may just be in the dark anyway....
Well, maybe I will buy a pack, test them out on squirrels and write a "real mans" review (w/ pictures)...how's that?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Think you can hit one? And if you do, you gonna get the wife to write it for you??
Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM

Stop hijacking threads Mo!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

We've got them here for 11 bucks at our Wally too. I didn't buy them because they only have a 1 1/4" cutting diameter. For turkeys, I want something at least 1 1/2" cut. I can get 1 1/8" cut with my 4 blade slick tricks. So it didn't make sense to switch to a 3 blade mechanical to gain a measley 1/8" cutting diameter, especially when you are losing overall cutting surface due to it being a 3 blade vs a 4 blade.

To me the only reason to shoot a mechanical over a slick trick would be to get a significantly bigger cutting diameter. The steelheads do not provide a significantly bigger cutting diameter, and actually have less cutting surface than a slick trick since it's a 3 blade.

I'm using Rocket Buckblasters on turkeys this year (without the fixed blades). They are a 2 3/4" cut....[:-] Granted, I'll have to throw them in the garbage when I'm done....

Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dem dare is some bad boys.....They work great on deer too....

Great product review...you get paid for those gems? Makes me wanna go out and buy a coupledozen.

I now see how you got over 10,000 posts so quickly.....
Mobow's motto: Eschew verbage.

Back when I was testing mechanicals to see if I wanted to try them, I never got a single pack that had heads that'd open properly without being reworked a bit. I mean, you're not supposed to have to use pliers to pull the blades open! The one thing that proved to me I wasn't meant to use mechs was when I got a pack of Steelheads and they were the same way. They have such a good reputation that I was sure it was an omen.

After working the Steelheads over and getting them fixed, they worked fine. Never did use any mechanical on a hunting arrow though. I'd had enough bad luck just testing them.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

They would be great for turkeys. The one doe I shot with them was a very difficult recovery because of a lack of penetration. I quit using them on deer.
If you have had penetration problems with these heads,then there were serious issues because these heads out penetratealot of3 blade fixed heads on the market but they do have a small cutting diameter,1 1/8 for the 100 grains I believe.

Arthur must just be jinxed because I have never had any of the ones I bought need any work out of the pack.Maybe a little sharpening but that was it.

They are also as accurate as a field point out of a tuned bow.

I would also prefer a little larger head for turkey but at $11.00,I would probably buy a couple packs anyways.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Mobow's motto: Eschew verbage.
Arthur, is that a Texas thang?? Eschew verbage?? You gotta have some kind of degree for that one?? Like....What is that??
Old 12-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur must just be jinxed because I have never had any of the ones I bought need any work out of the pack
Yep. That's what I was trying to get across. On the other hand, it makes a good case for folks not to take anything for granted. Make sure to check each head for proper function before using them. Blade sharpness too.

Arthur, is that a Texas thang?? Eschew verbage?? You gotta have some kind of degree for that one?? Like....What is that??
eschew - to abstain or keep away from; shun; avoid: to eschew evil.

verbage - A deliberate misspelling and mispronunciation of verbiage that assimilates it to the word `garbage'. More pejorative than `verbiage'.

verbiage - overabundance or superfluity of words, as in writing or speech; wordiness; verbosity.

eschew verbage - keep oneself from having diarrhea of the mouth [8D]
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 AM

LMflippinBO! I guess I could have looked that up in the dictionary, but the fact that "eschew" is an actual word NEVER even entered my mind......You don't mind if I use that do ya? That's freakin great...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Dont use them on hogs, unless you are very careful withyour shot. They tend to twist and not penetrate worth a crap. i stuck one in a hog, and it penetrated no more than three inches. I chuncked them after that.

I have killed one deer and a hog with them. Both were hard to recover because they twist and dont penetrate. I wouldnt waste my money.

Quick Reply: Tell me about Rocket Steelheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.