Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More arrow speed drivel...  Trajectory chart >

More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

The differences I have seen in real life were within the 1" number I stated but there were many other outside influences such as shaft diameter, etc.......

My main point still stands........there is no usable advantage in the deer hunting woods for this kind of speed unless your not using a rangefinder past 30 yards, in which case you really should be. I'm pretty good at judging distance and have the hardware on the wall to prove it, but still pull out the rangefinder every time I'm looking at an animal past 30 yards that's not made of foam. If I don't have the time to click the rangefinder, I don't shoot.

There is nothing wrong to like the speed and think it's cool, I do as well........but there is no way I am going to believe it's putting more deer inanyones freezer. [8D]
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's probably less deer going in the freezer. With all the speed in these new bows today people think they cantake farther shotsbecausethere bow is (Fast). Thats a funny one!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Would anyone go along with using a high performance bow to gain energy and momentum instead of speed? I don’t believe speed factors a whole lot in hunting, but I do like to error on the side of more energy & momentum in my arrows. I know a well placed shot needs very little KE to zip thru a rib cage, but I like to have that confidence that if something does go wrong, the arrow has enough ability to penetrate a deer’s vitals. I’m probably going to buy a speed bow(310+ IBO) for next year and then slow that bugger down with a little on the heavy side arrow to be able to shoot those armor plated deer. [8D]
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I support all arrows at whatever speed they travel, unless it is across my land
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

I don't think speed is putting more deer in the freezer. I took just as many deer with a old slow recurve bow as I do now. The big difference is speed bows are harder hitting, getting better penetration and we don't have the deer lost with bad hits as we did when I started bowhunting. Bows are not the only thing we have better broadhead, arrows, are better educated and so on. I would get one are two calls a week to go out to help find a deer back in the 60s and early 70s. Now some are still lost, but maybe one are two a year and most years none. I haven't lost a deer in a long time well say I can't remember the last time, It's been a long long time ago
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Until someone can tell me what I'm HURTING by using a light, fast arrow that's still producing 82 #'s of KE.....I'll keep right on shooting the fast arrow.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

You don't support light arrows, because you discriminate against them by only shooting heavy arrows. Thus, you are driving the light arrow manufacturers into financial ruin by boycotting their products. Their kids are starving, and their homes are falling into foreclosure as we speak.

I will not stand for this. Shame on you, Germ. Shame on you.

Again, your actions don't reflect the words coming out of your mouth. You hypocrite. I hope Michigan hires Jay Paterno, just to spite you.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

GMMAT, a 350 gn arrow at 300 fps will have practicallythe same trajectory at 30 yards as a 550 gn arrow at 300 fps at 30 yards. Beyond 30 yards,the 550'strajectory will actually be flatter. Butthe 550 gn arrow will be boiling up 110 ft lbs at the bow vs only 70 ft lbs for the 350 gn arrow. That's not possible if you're shooting the two arrows from the same bow.

What Iquestionis that the arrow's speed isn't constant. It begins slowing down as soon as it clears the string. It'll be flying slower at 10 yards than it was at the bow. Slower at 20 than it was at 10. Slower at 30 than it was at 20 and so on. And the speed degradation is greater for afaster arrow than it is for aslower one.

So, if the chart didn't take speed degradation into account, it isn't accurate. The question is, did the chart account for that or did it assume a constant arrow speed?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

ORIGINAL: Germ

You don't support light arrows, because you discriminate against them by only shooting heavy arrows. Thus, you are driving the light arrow manufacturers into financial ruin by boycotting their products. Their kids are starving, and their homes are being repossessed as we speak.

I will not stand for this. Shame on you, Germ. Shame on you.

Again, your actions don't reflect the words coming out of your mouth. You hypocrite. I hope Michigan hires Jay Paterno, just to spite you.
Once again you talk with your foot firmly planted in your mouth My 3d setup uses light arrows.

You most like the taste of toe jam.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Foam arrows aren't real arrows, Germ. Those are toys. We're talking about actual arrows. Now go climb back on your hobby horse. Powerpuff Girls will be on soon, and you won't want to miss the beginning.

Quick Reply: More arrow speed drivel... Trajectory chart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.