Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's up with this buck? >

What's up with this buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's up with this buck?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's up with this buck?

On Sunday I was out hunting the last of the "antlerless only" gun season and saw a strange(to me) sequence of events. It was about 10am and I'd already given up so was headed back to the truck.

.....when I noticed some rather large tracks on top of my tracks that I made going to my stand. What seemed odd was that this buck walked right directly in my tracks, sometimes for a hundred yards. I followed the tracks to a point where he stopped to rub a small pine sapling. This late in the season??? He also stopped twice to use the bathroom. In another 300yds he stopped againand torethe heck out of the side of a large tree leaving bark debris all over the top of the fresh fallen snow. This puzzles me even more than the pine sapling. His tracks then got mixed up with dozens others around a fallen oak where the deer were digging through the snow looking for acorns.

All of this after 9:30 I know 'cause that's when it quit snowing. Any of this odd to you guys considering the time of the year?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: What's up with this buck?

No. Deer will continue to rub and exibit rut behavior until their antlers are shed. The 2nd rut should be about winding down soon and there will be a third blip about the first week of Jan around here. Depending on how stressed out the bucks got, they will start shedding in Jan. I know that some already have, but most will start the 2nd or 3rd week of Jan, all the way through March.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are droping their antlers here already. One guy in camp found a shed on top of the snow a week ago.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm ok, makes sense. I just didn't think bucks go to town on 22 inch diameter trees as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Site Buck Guru

You never know!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

oh yea......well i was in the woods the other day and i got this wierd feeling in my gut and i pulled down my pants and a large brown substance came out of my cornhole!! this time of year???? anyone??? j/k buddy!

no, this isn't strange at all man, once again they only get one chance to breed every fall.....now this isn't JUST during the golden weeks in november. does come into heat at different times....some during what they refer to as the second rut. bucks hormones are flowing and there is no certain period of time that they release their aggression, this takes place as long as their horns are hard and they are able to smell that sweet aroma of hot does!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

point being....just a buck being a buck....nothing wrong with him!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time you hunt there, walk in a big circle real fast and see if you can catch up with him!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Next time you hunt there, walk in a big circle real fast and see if you can catch up with him!
That's not even smart enough to be stupid, it's just plain dumb. Why notsimply walk a trail right toand onto your snow filledtruck bed then wait in front of thetruckwith your bow? Think man think!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Hey bud, I think that the rut up here was a little earlier than most think. You ran into a buck that probably came across the path of a hot doe. The second estrous should of started about the time of the zone t hunt. After the first estrous period, if a doe does not breed she may come back into heat 28 day's later. If it is a young doe and she didn't come into estrous during the first cycle, she may come into estrous during the second estrous. The zone t hunt here in WI really screwd up the good late season hunting here in WI.

Quick Reply: What's up with this buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.