Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Amish tresspassing on our land >

Amish tresspassing on our land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Amish tresspassing on our land

Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Amish tresspassing on our land

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Being from Amish country I can tell you, they are the most friendly most respectable people and most hardworking than anyone I know. When I lived in Norwalk Wi up on St Marys Ridge, we had alot of Amish around us. Our families pretty much grew up together. We never had any problems with letting them on our property and if they snuck in so what, big deal. They are hunters just like us. They do not go by the same laws as we do so Im not sure if they can be hit with a tresspassing fine or not. I have never had problem with the Amish as long as they respect the land and the landowners wishes they are more than welcome to hunt in my book.
They may have a different way of life, but they are still subject to the same laws as every other citizen. This is not a reservation or sovereign territory. We have a ton of Amish and Mennonites in our area. (The banks even have hitching posts for the buggies.) Most are honest, hard working and friendly people, but they have their bad eggs, too.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I don't think that the Amish are known for trespassing.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Perhaps not your area, the Amish in this area are pathetic and less than desirable members of society and it goes beyond hunting incidents. They get every member of their family, license or no license and push property they have no business being on.
My experience exactly. Even caught them during non-seasons hunting.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Funny story on one of the properties that I hunt. The landowner catchesAmish poaching. He carries a camera on him at all times, and takes their picture (which they hate). Next day, the landowner goes to one of their stands (armed, but holstered) and starts taking their bake goods and then starts walking away. Amish stops him, and says he's stealing. Landowner looks at him (knowing who he is) and says, if you help yourself to game on my land, I help myself to your stand. The Amish manwas left speechless.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is starting to sound like the talk that started when mennonites moved into the part of Illinois where I am from. All sorts of accusations about them being a cult, paying no taxes, landgrabbing, etc.
None of it proved to be true upon firsthand interaction with them. Bawa cites an example of a crazy Amish guy killing someone, which is supposed to be relevant to a thread on trespassing. The story also mentions that the guy's own community triedtoensure that heremain institutionalized. So, how is that in indictment of an entire group? It actually represents the opposite.

Sorry guys, but for everylegitimate example of Amish trespassing (which is likely statistically minimal compared to trespassing by anyone else in a given area), I am hearing several tales that sound like the type of stuff that you can find on the Snoops urban legend site.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I am sick of other people telling me they are such nice people when they aren't. I even talked to all my neighbors and and they had to kick them off too. What a joke.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I even found out they pushed our back swamp with a bunch of their Amish buddies during the week while we weren't hunting.

That made me more angry.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm gonna take a wild guess that reports of trespassing by non-Amish in your county vastly outnumber (in terms of sheer numbers and percentages of overall incidents)the reports of trespassing by Amish.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also come from the heart of Amish country in NE Iowa. I have never had any bad experiances with them and no one who is directly in contact with them around here would say anything other than they are solid hardworking people and are really good deer hunters on average...but of course there are bad apples everywhere, in amish country.... and on this site[8D].
Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Spike

Here's one of the many previously alluded to Amish stories- A couple years back I had a sweet stand set up right next to a 1 acre pond- somewhat surrounded by timber and CRP- We had so many Amish problems on this turf it was unreal. I forget the time of the year but I was in an airport reading a USA Today and read an article describing an incident involving an Amish teenager's death, a pond and a horse- remarkably in the town that I hunted- Contacting the landowner he described how a bunch of drunken Amish teens were "jumping" their horses off the dam and one of boys was pinned underneath the water and killed. Not to be insensitive- but that is some bizarre tresspassing.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: engie

Here's one of the many previously alluded to Amish stories- A couple years back I had a sweet stand set up right next to a 1 acre pond- somewhat surrounded by timber and CRP- We had so many Amish problems on this turf it was unreal. I forget the time of the year but I was in an airport reading a USA Today and read an article describing an incident involving an Amish teenager's death, a pond and a horse- remarkably in the town that I hunted- Contacting the landowner he described how a bunch of drunken Amish teens were "jumping" their horses off the dam and one of boys was pinned underneath the water and killed. Not to be insensitive- but that is some bizarre tresspassing.
Yeah they like to tresspass. It must be in their blood!

Quick Reply: Amish tresspassing on our land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.