Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners? >

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I hope it pours on the opening day of gun season. Tag soup 4 everyone
8.59%
I only root for my buddies to do well. I hope the rest get skunked.
14.11%
I hope they all enjoy a successful season and tag out.
55.21%
If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels!
18.40%
Less deer for everyone else = more deer for me.
3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

The only thing I HATE about the gun season (shotgun in my case) is the deer drives and those that think they own everything! Then they go through and shoot everything that moves. If they actually hunt Im all for it. But what goes around my area during gun season isnt hunting. Its dangerous, stupid, and inconsiderate. In fact the DNR issued a BUNCH of citations for loaded weapons in vehicles (illegal). People were shooting out of windows as the weather was terrible. We let a shotgun hunter go on our land and still hunt for trophies just to try to keep the yahoos out. So far its worked to a T.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt stricky by archery, but oh my god do I hate gun grabbers![:'(]
Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

I cant believe what some people voted for. If you are against gun season you should go team up with the anti hunters.
I believe SOME archery hunters like to throw out the old "I used to gun hunt but it was too easy", "I could kill anything I could see" or the old "gun hunters shoot anything" JUST to make others feel bad. What you use to hunt with is your own personal preference theres no need to degrade gun hunters by saying its too easy. Its like another baiting or dog hunting debate... Its getting old and you need to stop.
Its getting to the point people that hunt with gun are feeling ashamed to post their pictures. I hunt both with bow and gun, and I'm proud of all my kills. I believe anyone that shoots a deer legally should be praised with a congrats, not a "Would of been a nice bowkill" or "Could of been a nice deer in a year or two". You were not there and you do not know the situation that hunter is in. There are other threads to spread the words of management.
Some hunters I know are only able to get in the woods a few days out of the year. Its a shame some of you would rather them not be able to make it in the woods. I would never wish a bad hunting season on anyone, that is pathetic.
Its all about respect, but sadly there will always be some people that are better than everyone else.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 AM

You can really tell the mature minds from the not-so by this thread, eh?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

He could of made this poll much simpler by switching the choices to

Im agreedy SOB thats ate up with jealousyand think all deer belong to me.

or

Good luck to everyone that enjoys hunting.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

SDH - a lot of thepillowtalk in this thread is just a result ofguys trying to be PC and preservethe"I support allhunting"image. I'm sure thesame guys who say they're "rooting for everybody" - they'd rathereat broken glassthan see some stranger sitting in their favorite stand on opening day.

Let a carload of total strangersshow up on theopening day of gun season and ask for permission to hunt on their private land and see what they tell 'em... "Sorry fellas, but we're all filled up..."

I'd reckon if you asked the same question to the Drury brothers - they'd give the same PC b.s. response. "Oh yeah, we hope everybody has a great season." Then, ask them if you can sit in one of their best Iowa stands during the first week of November. LOL. See what they tell ya.

They hope you have a great season allright - agreat season someplacewhere they don't hunt, that is.

That's where the rubber meets the road. If I was to guess, I'd saythata high percentage of hunters fall into category #2. They look out for #1 first, and if they're lucky enough to tag out - they'll help out a buddy/family member. Outside that circle, they're hoping that every buck in the woods makes it through gun season.

I just conducted this poll to see someof the responses. I'm glad to see that a lot of you guys are honest enough to admit it.

Like I said before: I read the paper and log in here every day, and I've never seen any ads: "HELP! I tagged out in Archery Season! Great Stand Site now vacant! 150"+ Bucks! Gun hunters Needed ASAP! Free! Call me asap, before this stand cools off!"
quick- I guess I'm one of the PC/pillowtalk/BSers you were referring to. I really don't care what someone else shoots as long as done legally and ethically like I said before. However I'm not going to put ads in the paper, give out permission to hunt my land, let them sit in my favorite stands or bend over backwards to help the them out. I've put in the time and effort to make my land and my stand locations what they are. That's a totally different story. If they do their thing the same way or better than me on their land and take a buck that was roaming around my land, that's fine. Good for them. I'm not going to be bummed about it. I'll be happy for them. That's what your poll was referring to.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

In most states, archery season is followed by a gun season holocaust. It can be argued that there's a bit of a "conflict of interest" between a tagged-out bowhunter, and the guys hunting in his areas in the gun season only weeks later.

Obviously, to a bowhunter,the less "success" enjoyed during gun season directly translates into more deer surviving to reproduce, and more racks making it into the following year.

This conflict of interest is obviously one of the biggest driving forces behind the wedge between "bowhunters" and "gun hunters."

So, bowhunters: Do you root against the guys in gun season?

I normally don't root against the gunners, but this year - PA experienced horrible weather throughout gun season - and I find myself being pretty excited for what 2008 might hold. Especially with all the holdover bucks that survived the onslaught of rifle season.
another bowhunting elitist, rifle hunting has been here way before you or the compound bow was invented. we are all hunters period. if you dont like it stay the hell out of the woods or move to a country that doesnt permit rifle hunting, get a freakin life MAN.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 AM

If they cancelled gun season tomorrow, I'd do cartwheels! 21% (23)

That is embarrassing.

It's so much easier to tear other people down then it is to build yourself up I guess.

Petty, Selfish, and Jealous

Old 12-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

For the love of GOD I give up.

I support hunters period[:@]
I agree. I am so tired of seeing this subject. I tell you something...why in the hell don't you guys who bash gun hunting move to South Carolina where WE HAVE NO BOW SEASON and our GUN season runs from August to Jan. Then we will see how good of a bow hunter you really are. Stop your piss poor crying.

Way to go guys...!!!! Keep up the good work bashing one another. Would you like someone to mail you a PETA application?[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Typical Buck

I do both,I love my bowtech old glory,and I love my old WW2 mosin nagant rifle!!
Let`s see...I love my pistol,my shotgun...my other shotgun,heck my mom even has a gun and she`s 60!
My dad bow hunts with a bowtech and loves his rifle for two weeks a year as well.
You`re iether pro hunting or an anti hunter,the traditionalists would knock a compound bow(I also shoot an old damon howatt recurve for fun)

Quick Reply: Bowhunters - do you root against the gunners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.