Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What did you do wrong this year?? >

What did you do wrong this year??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What did you do wrong this year??

Old 12-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What did you do wrong this year??

I don't know if this is a mistake or not, but I wasn't able to secure new properties early enough so I had to scout/hunt and the added pressure surely cost me some deer sightings.

I also was too reliant on my range finder. My range estimation has gone to poop because I've got my little laser device so handy. As a result I misjudged the distance on a 38 yard shot and a 28 yard shot. Fortunately, neither resulted in any harm other than a bruise to my ego.

I also carry way too much crap in the woods with me. I'm a suburban hunter and you'd think I was packing into the Yukon with all the crap I have. It's time to streamline and consolidate so I'm not a sweaty mess by time I get to my stand site.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM

2 things for me, if the shot is even the remotely questionable dont track too early and coming down off stand too early.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

As far as I know I didn't do a single thing wrong this year. I didn't bust a single deer. I made a great shot on a 3.5 year old. Can't answer why I didn't see deer on the days I didn't see deer but was it something I did or didn't do, can't answer that. Had a great season.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I
ignored my gut instinct on several occasions this year. Which I usually never do. It cost me more than one mature buck this season.

I've always been a very instinctive hunter, this season I just ignored it and thought too much..
That's about word for word what I was going to type. I've had great success in the past on "gut feelings" and instinct. Tried to do everything TOO much by the book this year. Sometimes if those little voices are talking you have to listen. Especially when you have a strong feeling about what they are saying.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't trust my past experiences, although I strongly thought about it in one instance. Not acting upon something I've seen over the years and not following up on a plan cost me a shot at a 22"-24" wide 10 pt buck. By the time I decided to act on it the next morning it was too late and he was slowly walking by "the spot" at 15 yards.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:52 AM

I learned the hard way that even 1 sound can be too much if made at the wrong time..........I walked about 1/3 mile to a stand I had set up and snuck the last 200-300 yards like a stalk.........didn't make a sound. Got to my stand which involved going over a cow fence and through some brush with no problems. Was about to climb up my tree and set my bow against the bark for a silent lift. It slid and clanked as it hit the first screw in step............a single deer jumped from it's bed not 30 yards behind me and ran......at that time of year most likely a buck.......I will never know. Even though my buck tag was full I would have liked to see him at least.

I hunted a couple times getting in late...........at breaking daylight. Dumb.

I probably over hunted a couple stands as well which is a tough habit to break.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 AM

Hey Don,

Good to hear from you and man be careful on that drive.

I love snow.

I have family in Mew Mexico and they have been bugging me to come down there and try to arrow an elk........they have taken some monsters down there but I just haven't had the time recently. Now I do so I may be headed your way soon
Old 12-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Banned

Thanks, Look me up. Always glad to have company.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Thanks, Look me up. Always glad to have company.
Not hard I would guess................just check the driveways or follow the sound of loud pipes

Can't wait to see some pics of the elk you guys start poppin'
Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Forgot one small minor tiny dumb thing I did this year.

Grabbed a LIVE deer.

No big deal...........I'm sure everyone's done that right??

Quick Reply: What did you do wrong this year??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.