Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What did you do wrong this year?? >

What did you do wrong this year??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What did you do wrong this year??

Old 12-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What did you do wrong this year??

Complacency will cost you, if you are on stand Hunt, what I mean is often I complain about not having as much time to hunt as I would like then when I do go I catch myself daydreaming, not paying attention, nodding off, etc. I have had a good season and know how many deerI have seen and taken but what I wonder about is how many I didnot see. I plan on making better use of my time next year.

Something GMMAT said ties into this, next year even though I know when early season gets here I will be itching to get in the woods I think I am going tolimit my early season huntingtimeuntil mid to lateOctober and later. That way as the season really gets prime I will have a few extra vacation days and can be in the woods at more ideal or "prime"times.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 AM

what i learned this season..... hmmmmmm

1. I don't hunt nearly enough!!
2. learned how to gut a deer hanging from a gambrel (have always done it on the ground in the field before)
3. racks look much bigger as light begins to fade
4. I don't hunt nearly enough!!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got caught sitting on my arse in KY, always be ready. If your in the woods hunt.
I setup one tree wrong
I should have hunted the north side of the CRP field.
Hunted to close to bedding area(I move this stand)

When I had a nice 9 120-130 buck in front of me,I got greedy.

There is a lot of season left. I already have a plan for next year in the works.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Banned

I didn't get to hunt this year; the only mistake I can really think of that I did this year I rode our Harley up to see TeeJay and I forgot that he was bald and I severely burnt my eyes from the reflection of the sun off of his dome.
My mistake this year; NO PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I'll be damned......he lives.

(Hope you're doing well, Don)
Old 12-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was pretty happy with most of my decisions in the early season except the one that counted most - hitting
the deer 2-3" high. Will practice even more from different angles and short distances with a 3D target.[&:]

But there's still hope left for this season.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Shot all my deer too early.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Site Buck Guru

I learned this a long time ago but felt it was important.

When your goal is to take a mature buck, sometimes less is more.

Meaning, as bad as you want to scout and hunt a real hot spot, especially if it is small in size, stay out until the time is right, then hunt it.

I have several 5 to 40 acre spots that can produce. I scout them via aerial photos. Then when I know the big bucks are starting to be on the move during daylight, I hang my stand and start hunting. Years ago I used to scout before season and during season. The more I did this the less I saw. Since most of them were funnels or creek crossings I knew that the deer would be using it no matter what. So I started staying out of there until it was time to hunt. The best time to scout these areas is right after the season, not before.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

I learned this a long time ago but felt it was important.

When your goal is to take a mature buck, sometimes less is more.

Meaning, as bad as you want to scout and hunt a real hot spot, especially if it is small in size, stay out until the time is right, then hunt it.

I have several 5 to 40 acre spots that can produce. I scout them via aerial photos. Then when I know the big bucks are starting to be on the move during daylight, I hang my stand and start hunting. Years ago I used to scout before season and during season. The more I did this the less I saw. Since most of them were funnels or creek crossings I knew that the deer would be using it no matter what. So I started staying out of there until it was time to hunt. The best time to scout these areas is right after the season, not before.
Exactly
Old 12-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

Couldn't be better Jeff, thanks for asking. Sarah applied for and landed a big promotion and pay increase in New Mexico with her same companyand after 6 months here in Steamboat Springs, we leave tommorrow. Biggest elk in NA there and better hunting, warmer weather, and I have family there. Cost of living is much better there too. We did the resort town and never again. We pick our Uhaul up at 12:00 today and load it tonight when I will have help to get our 1000 lb gun safe loaded. It takes 4 big guys to move it safely. Now if the damn snow would stop. 10 more inches coming all day. Wife is driving a 28' Uhaul with her Cadillac Deville behind it on a flatbed, and I am pulling my Blazer behind my Chevy pickup. We have some nasty mountain passes to get through and it isn't going to be fun. I feel she is safer in the big Uhaul than my 1/2 ton pickup with a K-5 Blazer shoving it down a 6% grade.

SNOW and STILL COMING

Quick Reply: What did you do wrong this year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.