Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Shot Placement Analysis! >

Need Shot Placement Analysis!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Shot Placement Analysis!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Shot Placement Analysis!

The arrow was probably broken by the buck in a frantic attempt to vacate the premises. The hind legs came forward at the shot and broke the shaft off as the leg muscles bent it against the ribs. A lot of the time you will actually hear the arrow snap as it breaks. It will also happen with the front legs. This is not the issue though, the deer has a fatal wound and will die. Gut shot deer will lay down very soon, within 100 yards, after the shot but they may get up and travel again due to the discomfort or from being pushed because of tracking too early. You can usually find blood and stomachor intestine contents though! I found a buck several years ago after tracking 12 hours and finding very small drops of blood on vegetation. Mark your backtrail with toilet paper to make it easy to come back to the last blood found. Move forward, sometimes on hands and knees, to find the next blood drop. Keep it up if it's not been too warm. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM

Find someone with some bloodhounds. Get him out there as soon as possible. Pay him well.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found it hard to find blood when they leave real hard. I always watch the best I can antry to recall thesame path thathe took. I look for trees that they ran by an try to establish the path he took an look about 30 or 40 yards from where you made the shot. That isabout the time they start to slow down an the chances of finding blood is increased greatly when they slow down.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

He is dead no doubt. As stated by others anytime you suspect a gut shot, wait, Wait, WAIT!! There is no excuse for losing a gut shot animal barring rain if you follow the proper recovery procedures you will have an excellent chance of recovering your animal

Dan
Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

he is dead go back and search hard for him . like most said it sounds like a gut shot
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

There may not be much if any blood from a gut shot. The guts themselves do a prettyy good job of plugging up any hole made by a broadhead. And add to that any food matter that was in them and you may never find a drop of blood.

Try trailing him by his tracks or do a grid search.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am definitely not going to give up I promise you that. I have always been told that a gutshot deer does not kick up and run fast after being hit. Is this true? I am so upset over this that I'm almost desperate for answers...Sorry
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kicking up is pretty normal. Kind of a reaction to getting slammed in the Gut I suppose. I would say your best option at this point is to do an intensive grid search and keep widening it as much as you can. Sometimes knowledge is come by the hard way, and I'm sure several of us have been there. Keep your Chin up! and learn from this. I wish you all the Luck in the world.

Dan
Old 12-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dan....