Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck shot

Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Neck shot

I am going to answer and then run and hide. If you learn a deer's anatomy, like a physician. Actually pay attention when you skin it, or disect a buck after you cut his head off, you can learn to kill a deer a hundred different ways.I'm pretty much obsessive compulsive, so I have done this. I took my buck of a lifetime by shooting it in the neck. I took out both Carotid arteries and the windpipe at 12 yds. I was face to face and its body was partially obscured by CRP.It spun around twice and died in a pile.
I don't say do it, especially under duress in a hope that adeer won't get away. Don't be selfish....you don't have the right. But if you can take out the X at 20 yds, you can hit any spot that you know will kill an animal. A double lung shot is not the most humane, it is the easiest. A head shot is the most humane, but it is not feasible. Everything must be taken in context. There is no such thing as always or never......
Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: seller

Is there ever a situation where you would take a neck shot? I would think it would be fatal if you get the spine or the wind pipe.
the first deer i shot was a neck shot at 10 yards that went just under the spine and jaw bone that cut the jugular and windpipe....i shot the shot after reading ahunting aftical that a neck shot was a quicker kill then a body shot....it didn't say anywhere in the artical they were talking guns, so this rookie took the shot at dark and scored with a perect cross from the broadhead through both sides of the neck....turned and run only 10 yards and stopped, all i heard was it gurgling as it was bleeding then just fell over within 15 seconds....the only other time i hit a deer in the neck was from my arrow hitting a small twig i didn't see just before the deerand got lucky as the arrow moved upward from the lungs to the back of the neck where it joined the skull, that deer died within seconds too.................bob

Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

i did not try for this shot..not really sure what happened but i had never seen a blood trail like this....i shot him in a cornfield and he ran about 200 yards across the field to the woods and piled up about 10 yards in

Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd take a neck shot
Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

My brother shot a buck the other day. When we butchered it up last night there was a slug hole underneath the wind pipe just missing it. It would of lived fine, neck shots bow hunting specialy should be out of the question.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 AM

never neck shot one, shot them with a bow and rifle in the brisket come straight on at me and i have also texas heart shot them with a bow from a ground blind walking directly away from me and with a slug gun. but i never found the need to take a neck shot to much can go wrong in my opinion. with a rifle maybe , bow not for me.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: GeorgiaTomkat

I disagree. I accidentally hit this buck in the neck (arrow deflected). He ran MAYBE 15-20 yards, and was dead in seconds. There was blood everywhere. It was an accident, though, and would NEVER try to hit a deer in the neck.
Then what are you disagreeing about!
I'm not sure I get your point either. I do you disagree and then turn around and validate the topic?

You were lucky that your poor shot severed the jugular vein (or other major vital) and you were able to recover that buck. I say poor shot because any "good" shot with a bow will not strike an obstruction and will be unimpeded to the target. My bet is you either took an ill advised shot thru cover or you took a shot outside of your comfortable shooting range.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would never do it, too many things can go wrong.
Nice to see some photo evidence of why not to try it. Hopefully that will deter some folks.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rockpile rob

never neck shot one, shot them with a bow and rifle in the brisket come straight on at me and i have also texas heart shot them with a bow from a ground blind walking directly away from me and with a slug gun. but i never found the need to take a neck shot to much can go wrong in my opinion. with a rifle maybe , bow not for me.
You will take a "Texas Heart Shot" but not a neck shot. I personally don't like either buthow do you figurethat a "THS" is better than a neck shot, especially with a bow?

For anyone who does not know a Texas Heart Shot is when a deer is facing directly away from you and you basically shoot it in the arse hole area and hope it blows straight through the body cavity into the vitals. How would you like to skin a deer shot like that?[:'(]
Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: rockpile rob

You will take a "Texas Heart Shot" but not a neck shot. I personally don't like either buthow do you figurethat a "THS" is better than a neck shot, especially with a bow?

For anyone who does not know a Texas Heart Shot is when a deer is facing directly away from you and you basically shoot it in the arse hole area and hope it blows straight through the body cavity into the vitals. How would you like to skin a deer shot like that?[:'(]
I think the "THS" is even more pathetic than the neck shot.

Quick Reply: Neck shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.