Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting for a career? >

Hunting for a career?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting for a career?

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting for a career?

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

What do you do Matt? I've often wondered, and I actually thought you did work in the archery industry, but I guess I was mistaken.
I'm a Regional Sales Manager for a software company, and part time staff at a local pro shop. I do a lot of other things on the side as well including a lot of online sales with archery related stuff, and this does keep me involved to a certain degree. To be honest I don't think I'd want to be involved any more than I am now on a professional level and I certainly wouldn't consider it as a career path anymore, it's just a method for me to supplement my archery habit,pay for some toys, and spend time with friends..........but that's where I draw the line.

Anything revolving around retail/consumer type products is a tough place to make a good career for yourself these days. Just my opinion.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

For those who said "yes", would you rather be involved in the industry/sales/management side or actually hunting? Reason I ask is, you do see a lot of the Full-Time pro's hunting ranches and guided outfits. I know many of you on here take pride in pursuing game 100% fair chase, doing the scouting and legwork in the preseason, etc, so in theory, wouldn't it be logical to consider this aspect of the career before you automatically say "yes"? Just stirring the pot a bit
Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM

Since I was sort of mentioned I'll TRY to give my .02....

Hunting is not a career for me....close, but not. Full time I own a bear hunting and fishing camp in Ontario Canada. Its balls to the walls in the outdoors 16 hrs per day from Mid April to the end of September....I don't consider it a job, more of a lifestyle. Doing this has provided me the opportunity to hunt a ton in the fall....my passion.

This year, after Joey asked me, I decided to throw another challenge into the mix and begin filming......for fun.....not looking to gain anything monetarily (yeah I can't spell) I have found it to be an absolute blast! Not only will I have the memories on film, but I will get to share my experiences and knowledge with others.

I don't and won't consider it as a career.....more or less a lifestyle. It wouldn't be for everyone and it takes a lot of questioning yourself to determine if you really want to do it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Since I was sort of mentioned I'll TRY to give my .02....

Hunting is not a career for me....close, but not. Full time I own a bear hunting and fishing camp in Ontario Canada. Its balls to the walls in the outdoors 16 hrs per day from Mid April to the end of September....I don't consider it a job, more of a lifestyle. Doing this has provided me the opportunity to hunt a ton in the fall....my passion.

This year, after Joey asked me, I decided to throw another challenge into the mix and begin filming......for fun.....not looking to gain anything monetarily (yeah I can't spell) I have found it to be an absolute blast! Not only will I have the memories on film, but I will get to share my experiences and knowledge with others.

I don't and won't consider it as a career.....more or less a lifestyle. It wouldn't be for everyone and it takes a lot of questioning yourself to determine if you really want to do it. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Excellent post dan. I hope you weren't offended by anything I said, because I have the upmost respect for most industry pros, and I know many of them don't fall into the "high fence" hunters like some TV shows/industry pros do.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Well, I hope you aren't calling me a "pro".....I'm the farthest thing from it.....I'm just a guy that loves to hunt.

Edited: No worries about offending me and none taken. Also, 90% of my hunting is done DIY....if its not, I don't try to make it look like it is...I give credit where its due.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:17 PM

I think as far as I would go is to be part of the management staff. This would only be because I would be around several hunters like myself, which is not a common occurance in the accounting industry.

I think being a guide would only be as good as long as you had good clients. I dont think I would enjoy guiding someone who bought his gun and clothing at Cabelas the night before for some outragous amount of money. Filming for person enjoyment would be enjoyable because there is no pressure. When $$ are on the line, some of the fun is taken out in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right now, I do make a fair amount in the fishing industry. I still work 40hrs a week at my "job", and its mainly for the benefits, retirement (almost my entire checks go straight into the bank), and something to do in my downtime. Would I like to make it big time enough to not work, of course, but at the same time, I'm happy where I am now. I'm not exactly sure I would like it in the hunting industry as much as the fishing. I like the commodery of a blast off at 6 am, and the weigh in of 200 other fellow anglers. Hunting in my escape, and I much prefer to do that alone, or with just a few close friends with no pressure to succeed.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM

I totally agree, Dan. In no way, shape, or form am I a pro. I'm a guy that loves to hunt. When I'm at home, my life revolves around figuring out what deer are doing - and shed antlers are at the top of my list with my family, life, and job. I really don't like the term, "pro staff" because it's so overused. I'm speaking for Joey and Troy here too, but I'm sure they'll feel the same way. That's why we call ourselves "junkies" because we're totally addicted to deer. Rut Junkie was born to share that passion with others. All of my hunting is DIY, and I've never hunted with a guide. I teach high school science and write a few magazine articles on the side to maybe help other hunters become more successful at what they love to do. I'd love to hunt for a living, but I know it's a long shot. In the mean time, I'll continue to film my hunts, put our video together, and pat other hunters on the back for their continued support of the sport we love so much.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would NOT want to be on the business side of things.

Hunting, filming, guiding and I'd go for it.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Bartender

I will stick to my 3rd shift job and as of Jan 1st I will have 33 days vacation due to my 10 yr anniversary.
I am taking up filming next season.

Quick Reply: Hunting for a career?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.