Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What kind of deer hunter are you? >

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mature buck hunter, shoot does for the meat.
53.80%
Opportunist, if I see one great, otherwise anything will do.
29.11%
Brown is down, can't eat the horns.
7.59%
Kinda new, need a few more under my belt before I decide.
9.49%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of deer hunter are you?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

where i hunt i am on prime big buck trritory but i am mainly a shoot what ever comes in range but if the big one come around it will be lights out lol
Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gzg38b
I'm still fairly new at this bowhunting thing. I've gun hunted since I was 14, but I've really only been a serious bowhunter for 4 years now. I've managed to take 9 deer with my bow in 4 seasons. The problem is only 2 of them were does! One was a mature buck taken in Illinois. The others were either button bucks or 1.5 year old bucks.

Here's the kicker: In 4 years of bowhunting in Michigan, I've only seen one buck that looked older than 1.5 yrs old.

At the time I didn't feel bad at all about shooting young bucks. Heck, I probably only get about 4 or 5 deer in bow range all season where I hunt. So I felt like I needed to have a "brown its down" mentality. I'm also starting to realize that I'm probably my own worst enemy because I've shot so many young bucks in the last few years that its no wonder I don't see more mature bucks. But as a new bowhunter I think it was good experience at the same time.

This year, I gained access to a pretty good area to hunt during the rut. I can see myself becoming a mature buck hunter next year, and shooting does for meat. That was my plan this year, until I hunted the entire month of October without seeing a deer of either sex. Then I got frustrated and decided to stick an arrow in the first deer in bow range. Of course, it was a BB (accident - thought it was a doe).

Now that I'm confident in my abilities to kill when the time comes, and I've got a few under my belt, I'm going to try to become a mature buck hunter who shoots mature does only for meat. That's my goal for next year.
I think that is a great attitude and path.

Way to many people saying "I shoot small bucks because I don't see any mature bucks" of course not, dead bucks don't mature.

Perfect IMO...you did your thing, got it out of your system. Now for the hard part....sticking with it.

Last edited by rockport; 10-29-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

I'm going to try and not step on toes but here goes.....

Hunting is to me the pursuit of game which is to be consumed by the hunter. I hate the way that hunting shows and magazines put their focus on collecting trophies as opposed to the responsible taking of game. To me the vast majority of poaching is done by folks that are looking for something to brag about. We are our own worst enemy by placing our attention on the size of a rack.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking folks that trophy hunt. I just believe that you should take only what you need and leave the rest. If I've loaded the freezer I might go after a hoss but I don't believe in wasting meat.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bald9eagle

Hunting is to me the pursuit of game which is to be consumed by the hunter. I hate the way that hunting shows and magazines put their focus on collecting trophies as opposed to the responsible taking of game. To me the vast majority of poaching is done by folks that are looking for something to brag about. We are our own worst enemy by placing our attention on the size of a rack.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking folks that trophy hunt. I just believe that you should take only what you need and leave the rest. If I've loaded the freezer I might go after a hoss but I don't believe in wasting meat.
+1.

Nothing against anyone who want's to wait for a bruiser to step out. To me, that is nothing more that a huge bonus to a successful hunt. Because if they were all giants, then they'd all be the same. What I have a problem with is those who say, "let it go and let it grow". Why? Maybe it will never grow. It might get hit by a car. It might die by some other means. One mans trophy cold easily be considered a world record to someone else. Hunters numbers vs, deer populations vary greatly across the country. I know people that say, I'd never shoot anything under 130", and another who says he won't kill a buck unless it scores at least 160. Well, which one of these guys is right? The 130 guys thinks I'm nuts for a brown is down, meat in the freezer attitude and the 160 guys thinks were both wrong????

I asked both of these guys once if they were flying in the mountains, and they crashed, how would they survive. Starving and having a rifle as a means to hunt with, would you wait for a "trophy" to come by, or would you shoot the first deer you see LOL. They didn't have an answer.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't feel like placing my attention on rack size is in any way even remotely related to poaching or wasting meat.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FungusFinder
+1.

Nothing against anyone who want's to wait for a bruiser to step out. To me, that is nothing more that a huge bonus to a successful hunt. Because if they were all giants, then they'd all be the same. What I have a problem with is those who say, "let it go and let it grow". Why? Maybe it will never grow. It might get hit by a car. It might die by some other means. One mans trophy cold easily be considered a world record to someone else. Hunters numbers vs, deer populations vary greatly across the country. I know people that say, I'd never shoot anything under 130", and another who says he won't kill a buck unless it scores at least 160. Well, which one of these guys is right? The 130 guys thinks I'm nuts for a brown is down, meat in the freezer attitude and the 160 guys thinks were both wrong????

I asked both of these guys once if they were flying in the mountains, and they crashed, how would they survive. Starving and having a rifle as a means to hunt with, would you wait for a "trophy" to come by, or would you shoot the first deer you see LOL. They didn't have an answer.

Sounds far fetched to me. They didn't have an answer? really?

Starving stranded in the mountains and they didn't know if they would trophy hunt or shoot the first deer?

I don't care that you just want to shoot whatever shows up. If that is what you like thats great. What I don't like is downplaying the work,skill,and patients that goes into what I do by saying things like "there just aren't mature deer where I hunt so I shoot whatever I see" there wouldn't be mature deer where I hunt either if I shot whatever walked by.

Last edited by rockport; 10-29-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I don't feel like placing my attention on rack size is in any way even remotely related to poaching or wasting meat.
It absolutely is. I live in North Alabama so I know quite a bit about spotlighters. There are a lot of guys that might just shot anything they see but most will absolutely go out looking for big racks to shoot after daylight hours.

Is it the biggest cause? Probably not but it doesn't help.

As to wasting meat that was probably a poor choice of words. My intent, because I have seen it personally, was to say that I have seen more than one buck carcass with the rack cut off being left to rot.

I guess what bothers me is that trophy hunting is all about being able to brag. I have never been able to have anyone convince me that taking a 4 1/2 year old is better than taking a 2 1/2.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

This thread is almost 6 years old!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It absolutely is. I live in North Alabama so I know quite a bit about spotlighters. There are a lot of guys that might just shot anything they see but most will absolutely go out looking for big racks to shoot after daylight hours.

Is it the biggest cause? Probably not but it doesn't help.

As to wasting meat that was probably a poor choice of words. My intent, because I have seen it personally, was to say that I have seen more than one buck carcass with the rack cut off being left to rot.

I guess what bothers me is that trophy hunting is all about being able to brag. I have never been able to have anyone convince me that taking a 4 1/2 year old is better than taking a 2 1/2.
That is absolute nonsense. Blaming my passion to hunt mature bucks for poaching is ridiculous. Blame the poachers for poaching.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Sounds far fetched to me. They didn't have an answer? really?

Starving stranded in the mountains and they didn't know if they would trophy hunt or shoot the first deer?

I don't care that you just want to shoot whatever shows up. If that is what you like thats great. What I don't like is downplaying the work,skill,and patients that goes into what I do by saying things like "there just aren't mature deer where I hunt so I shoot whatever I see" there wouldn't be mature deer where I hunt either if I shot whatever walked by.

I think you missed the point of what I was conveying about the "stranded" scenario.

I don't think I nor anyone else downplayed what goes into stalking a large mature deer. I certainly know that those who do go for the big boys, spend plenty of time studying and patterning them and I certainly did not say "there just aren't mature deer where I hunt so I shoot whatever I see".

My point is that not everyone should be forced (antler restrictions) to take an animal that is classified as a "mature" animal by someone else, and when I say someone else, I mean the people that lobby to get such rules implemented. I hunt for one reason, and one reason only, meat. I have never mounted a single deer or elk that I've taken. I simply cut off the horns and either toss them in the shed or nail them to the wall in the barn. There are PLENTY of mature bucks where we live, corn fed country, and plenty of opportunity for those who seek them to harvest them and that goes for a good part of the country. Granted, they might have to work a bit harder, or hunt longer for them, but "to the victor, goes the spoils".

Quick Reply: What kind of deer hunter are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.