Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What happens when >

What happens when

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What happens when

Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What happens when

Should I not beable to do so it'll be alright. I'm about at the point in life I really don't care if I shoot any more deer.
I hope to be there at 64, too, David. I honestly see the day on the horizon that it won't matter, much, to me. I think I'll be able to walk away from this with no regrets or excessive longing.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Should I not beable to do so it'll be alright. I'm about at the point in life I really don't care if I shoot any more deer.
I hope to be there at 64, too, David. I honestly see the day on the horizon that it won't matter, much, to me. I think I'll be able to walk away from this with no regrets or excessive longing.
Well I'm already ata point that I don't care much about killing many deer, but I LOVE hunting and want to be out there 24/7. Teaching others to hunt/fish etc is what I truly love.
If you haven't yet experienced the joy of taking someone out and having them harvest a deer or catch a nice sized fish (that you were after) then I suggest you all try it.
You know that increased heart rate when that shooter comes in at 15yds broadside? It's WAY better than that.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kmunny19

its very easy for any of us to tell you to not give up on hunting and accept the crossbow. but I personally can't feel how that would feel to you. I'm guessing you feel that it will be conceding that you will never be the same again, and accepting the beginning of the end of hunting for you. that would be a totally natural way to feel, and I couldn't blame you if you felt that way. I'm a chiropractor, and see people facing descisions like yours frequently. I can tell you from many of their experiences that the ones who accept the changes and do what their body tells them they can, are usually surprised by how satisfying modifying their activities can be. I do know of some hunters who had to go to crossbow, and even though it was hard to accept, they eventually said they were glad they did. I will also say, those who continue to do all they can, usuall have better health outcomes than those who give up the activities they always loved. I hope this helps and that whatever you decide, you areas happy as possible with your choice.
Excellent Post!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

If you haven't yet experienced the joy of taking someone out and having them harvest a deer
Got to live that one this year, Keith.....and you're right. It's one of the top ten moments in my hunting life, period.

I took 5 whitetails with the bow, last season. I'm sitting on 8 for this year....with 2 weeks left. I WOULD LOVE to only take 2-3, next year.....and subseuent seasons, thereafter. "Killing" isn't a major goal of mine. Managing the herd, here, as best I can.....is going to become more of a priority, FOR ME.

I would love to take 1 VERY mature doe and "maybe" "a" buck, next year. That means I need some help taking out some does. Come on over.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 AM

I'm 44. If something happened to me today I'd be out there with a crossbow next season because I still have this passion burning inside me. 20 years from now I might feel differently, but where I'm at right now it would be an easy decision for me.

Interesting side note story. My friend is in his 60's and pretty physically broken down from being a coal miner for over 40 years. In the last 5 years or so his trips out bowhunting became less and less because he was really struggling pulling his bow back. With his diminished physical capabilities, he practiced less and didn't feel right about going back in the woods after a deer for fear of wounding. Fast forward to this year. His boy bought him a crossbow and the doctor signed off on his slip saying he could use it. The man's fire was instantly rekindled. He spent more time out this season than the last 5 years combined I bet. He even went as far as to put in all day sits in the ladder stands we set up for him which is something he hadn't done in the recent past. He didn't get a deer, but I was extremely proud of him. He's back!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Dang, I just checked your birthday. You're older than dirt. I think you're doing great.Respect given. When the time comes 5 pounds less will give you another 5 years anyway.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Having met Keith....I'd say this wasn't intended for him.

In my golfing days....I talked to a LOT of well-respected physicians who all pretty much agreed that the MAJOR thing wrong with most people's backs.......was their "fronts".
Old 12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Dang GMMAT... you're setting your sights awfully low. 60's???? I'm 64 and still enjoy bowhunting. I hope to be doing it until I'm 80s.
Amen David.

I only need to look to Jawshooter to know there are options and ways to overcome any obsticle. I cannot foresee myself stopping for any reason. I was in a treestand with a cast this year, I would have been in a ground blind had I not been able to climb. Where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM

"when we can no longer draw our bows and sinew has set in, we will hunt in our dreams, because it is in our souls"...............
Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Dang, VA....

Is "sinew" something like rigor mortis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.