Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the oldest deer you've taken? >

What's the oldest deer you've taken?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the oldest deer you've taken?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the oldest deer you've taken?

The DOW did a study involving over 1000 wildlife biologists aging deer based on the jaw. All the jaw bones came from deer of known age ranging from fawn on beyond 10 years old. The biologists were just to age the deer. The conclusions of the study were that beyond 3.5 the group as a whole was incorrect much more often than they were correct. Because of this study, deer checked by biologists at checking stations for study purposes are listed as fawn, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and over.

Obviously, if you know the deer personally (for lack of a better term) then you can age it based on that, but you cannot do it from the jaw like so many will tell you.

You are right Greg, it is a highly educated guess for some and they will probably get within a year, but if you want to know for sure you have toscope the teeth or weigh the lense.

I only know any of this because I was educated this year by a wildlife biologist neighbor of mine. I was way more ignorant than I thought I was prior to this year. It has been an amazing wake up learning more about this subject.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got one in Kansas they said was 10 1/2, but even they said that it was just a guess after the teeth are so worn. Shot him around 1:30- 2:00 in the afternoon, the biggest body buck I ever shot, I tried to drag it to a ditch to hide it while I went to get help and could only stretch its neck out!! Took me and a friend an hour and a half to drag it 150 yards. His rack was a little crooked but still scored 152 1/2".
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have no idea but I can tell you this much that up at my dads place in Northern Minnesota they have had the same doe come in there yard to eat corn for over 17 years. She has never had atail, they call her bare but! This is no lie!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Another answered that his was a 9.5 yr old....and had this photo to accompany it. Is this deer 9.5 (in your opinions)?

I have NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS STUFF>......just seems remarkable.

Looks young to me!

Mat
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

my 2000 8 point was aged at 6.5+, and had a 29" neck at the base of the head.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Dominant Buck

My experience has been that most people have no earthly idea how old the deer is they kill. I just have to laugh at these TV star yahoos that walk up to a deer and say, "Oh yeh, a 5 and half year old mature buck". They have no idea based on horns... but to be QDM and PC correct they declare itsomething that sounds good. Past the first 3 years it's almost a guess with the jawbone and teeth wear to get it right. Yet... these folks look at a deer and declare him 5 or 6 years old. It's such a joke. If you like him... shoot him. Don't get all wrapped up in how old is he. It's suppose to be fun. I've shot a lot of OLD deer. I have no idea how old they were... only how they tasted. The best tasting deer I ever had was 4 years 8 months fed on peanuts.[8D]
Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 AM

The oldest I've shot is about 6
He got mounted. One of the biggest things i noticed is how it compares to the three other deer that are mounted. I have2 three year olds and 1 two year old.The gray coat is very noticable. He was on his way out.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Bartender

DNR told me 7.5 yr old doe back in 88
Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck I shot a 1 antler buck a couple years back that was gray from his nose to his tail, his teeth were pretty much gone but he was still hanging with a doe. I thoughtI saw his medicare card when I was gutting him. LOL
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took a 24 year old deer 12 years ago, ended up marrying her after a while: )

Quick Reply: What's the oldest deer you've taken?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.