Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Right handers shooting lefty >

Right handers shooting lefty

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Right handers shooting lefty

Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Right handers shooting lefty

I just read this article https://www.huntingnet.com/articles/article_detail.aspx?articles_id=481and wondered how many people shoot their bows oppositehanded due to "eye dominance", I seem to be left eye dominant and am very leary of buying a LH bow...wondering how many people are shooting to accomidate their dominant eye.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Right handers shooting lefty

im pretty sure you can "train" your eye shoot right handed if you feel its easier and smoother when you pull back a right handed bow. Have you tried a LH one? Im all screwed up when it comes to shooting. Im left eye dominant but shoot a shot gun right handed but a bow left handed. I always wondered why i sucked so bad a duck hunting... every once in a while i would close the wrong eye when i was shootin! haha
Old 12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I changed my daughter over from right to left a few years ago due to eye dominance.She is only 13 now and the move seems to be the right one.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I made the switch VERY early and I'm thankful I did now.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Im right handed but shoot left handed for bow and right for gun works for me I would chang to your dominont eye you will be in much better shape.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM

I never thought about shooting my guns, it's just a joke among my friends but they call me "one shot" so I guess I'm a pretty good shot, at least that's what they think...I think it's because I only shoot when I know I will hit my target
At this time I don't have a bow, I'm trying to do as much research as possible before making my bow purchase. I'm sick of sitting in the woods during the "gun season" and never seeing any Deer, people saythey see a lot more Deer whenthey bow hunt so I'm going to give it a whirl, I've always thought about bow hunting but this last gun season was the straw that broke the camels back. I sat in the woods every day but 1 and I only sawone doe! I read somewhere that "if you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten". It's time for a change!!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i aim i always close my left eye but if i wat to look through a camera some something like that i always close my right[&:]..
lol don't know why!

Mat
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Spike

I'm the complete opposite: Left handed, shooting righty. I just purchased my bow in October and was in the shop trying out several left handed bows. I had a hard time closing my right eye to line up the sight. So, they pulled out a right handed bow and I haven't looked back. I think I actually am more steady by holding the bow w/ my left hand.

Chris
Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Eddie Haskell

I never thought about shooting my guns, it's just a joke among my friends but they call me "one shot" so I guess I'm a pretty good shot, at least that's what they think...I think it's because I only shoot when I know I will hit my target
At this time I don't have a bow, I'm trying to do as much research as possible before making my bow purchase. I'm sick of sitting in the woods during the "gun season" and never seeing any Deer, people saythey see a lot more Deer whenthey bow hunt so I'm going to give it a whirl, I've always thought about bow hunting but this last gun season was the straw that broke the camels back. I sat in the woods every day but 1 and I only sawone doe! I read somewhere that "if you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten". It's time for a change!!
Man I was in the EXACT same situation you were in. I am about as left eye dominant as anyone can be since I was borne with a lazy eye (right eye) and had to have 2 surgeries when I was younger to help save my right eye. It worked but my right eye is so weak that I have to close my left eye in order to even see anything with it. I can shot a shot gun right handed, trap, and I seem to be okay. (I am very right handed)

I was looking for a bow and told many people about my situation and they all said if you have never shot a bow before go with your dominant eye it will be much, much better in the long run. I was skeptical at first but I have only had the bow for about a week and already I am developing decent form and can hit the bull eye at 30 yards consistently.

Picture yourself out in the woods under very low light conditions and trying to look through that peep at a deer. It going to be a challenge, if you were only target shooting under perfect lighting conditions I would still say go with your dominant eye but shooting right would still work. But hunting you need to be able to see especially when animals blend in with there surroundings.

If you have never really shot a bow that much then you are set, lower the poundage if you need to and train those muscles and work your way up to a comfortable poundage (only if you need to) If this is your first bow then you are basically a piece of clay that can be molded to fit anything, that was my situation and man am I glad I went left. Can I shot a bow right? Sure, but can’t see as well and that is not as enjoyable. If you have been shooting a bow for awhile then the transition may be take more time getting used to based on the simple fact that old habits die hard, that is the only reason I shot a gun right handed, because I learned that way.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM

I am left handed but shoot a bow right handed. My reason for shooting right handed had nothing to with eye dominance but rather the availability of left handed equipment when I was a kid starting out. Couldn't find a left handed bow so I learned to shoot right handed.

I shoot guns left handed soI guess I am both eye dominate, if that is possible. I have shot a bow right handed for so long I doubt I could re-learn to shoot left handed.

Quick Reply: Right handers shooting lefty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.