Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What are this guys chances? >

What are this guys chances?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are this guys chances?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are this guys chances?

I shot a buck in early November with my bow. I knew he was a good and really tall buck, but we could never find him after several 100 yards of tracking (broadhead issues, but thats a WHOLE different story).

Anyways I was shotgun hunting Thursday morning and I had to get down an hour after dawn. Well go figure it gets to be that time so I start packing up and I see a deer coming my way. It just so happens I notice a really nice looking 3.5 yr old 8 pointer coming. I'm checking his rack out and notice he is about 130 inches maybe drops into high 120's.

As he comes closer I check the time and know that there is no way I can shoot him as I would not have time to track him, field dress, etc... Instead I just continue to watch him. As I notice closer I see he is walking with a noticable limp on his front right shoulder. I grab my bino's and check him out closer and can't believe it's the same buck. There was what looked like a scabbed over hairless black spot on his side about where the rib cage ends, in the middle of the body. (Thats the broadhead issue). I keep watching him and he is limping pretty badly and I see him bed down eventually about 250 yards away.

I came back that afternoon and he had since left, but I am wondering that this buck has survived this long. He should be a great one next year and I really want to know if he is going to be alright. The shot should have been lethal had proper penetration taken place, however when we recovered my arrow from him only a few inches were really in him and the arrow had not been in him that long. Maybe 40-50 yards. I'm still hating the fact that he is walking around out there hurt because of me.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What are this guys chances?

May be we could move this post over to the one with the buck eating with an arrow sticking out of his fore head. We could call it dumb and dumber.[:@]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to bed nowbefore some one ask "If I hit a huge buck just a little far back with my F 250 will he still die if my tires arekinda some what bald" MY sisters boy friend says he will be fine because it is still cold out side. And we always keepthe radio on real low. [8D]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

bawanajim...I apologize for injuring a buck and you having to learn of it. I did not take what I felt was an unethical shot at all. From my visual Thursday I hit the buck in what should have been a kill shot, however the arrow did not penetrate. I don't even remember how many hours we looked for him, but it was coming close to20 by the time we figured he had survived. This confirmed it. I did not post thisto be ridiculed for the shot, simply asking come winter is this deer going to survive. If so will there be any negative effects to his body health, or rack.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

His rack is going to show signs of injury next year. If he ws THAT bad, do him a favor and take him out if you can.

But, remember that deer can bounce back nearly 100% from some serious injuries!!
I wouldn't say he was THAT bad. I did not even notice him limping while looking through my scope at him moving through the brush. Once he got within 60 yards and turned broadside I saw him. I would have taken him, but like I said I did not think I had time to properly do the after work.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

bawanajim...I apologize for injuring a buck and you having to learn of it. I did not take what I felt was an unethical shot at all. From my visual Thursday I hit the buck in what should have been a kill shot, however the arrow did not penetrate. I don't even remember how many hours we looked for him, but it was coming close to20 by the time we figured he had survived. This confirmed it. I did not post thisto be ridiculed for the shot, simply asking come winter is this deer going to survive. If so will there be any negative effects to his body health, or rack.
Hell no effects at all he sounds justfine. After a short hospital stay ,couple dozen stiches & six weeks of phyiscal therapy he will be good as new.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for reminding me not to post such topics on here.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your welcome.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Hey Illionois Buck Hunter dont worry about hawanajim. Some people can be real jerks. It is unfortuanate that this happened and if you are honest about taking a well aimed shot then thats that. Crap happens. But like Drop tine said if you get the chance to take him out of his misery do it. If he his limping he is suffering. And just because the wound is scabed over doesnt mean that there isnt an effection that will kill him even slower. No matter what you need to take him out of his misery and hit the targets harder, and make sure something like this doesnt happen again. If it does you might want to think about changingsomething inyour set up or not hunting. I commend you on owning up to this unfortunate event anddont let a little critisism keep you from asking questions and finding solutions to problems.

Quick Reply: What are this guys chances?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.