Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My New Hunting Buddy! >

My New Hunting Buddy!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My New Hunting Buddy!

Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My New Hunting Buddy!

I've wanted one for a long time, but couldn't have a dog where I used to live. Got a new house and new rules... So, meet Blazer! Sorry, pic is from my daughter's cell phone. He's an 8 week old lab. New friend for the kittens to hide fro... i mean, play with!

Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My New Hunting Buddy!

Congratulations. I love dogs. I think they are amazing.

Here's my little man. He's training in blood tracking and won 5th of 38 Dachshunds at his first and only dog show so far.

Axel (WireHair Dacchshund)

Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is he going to be a hunting dog??
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

Really, he's just going to be a pet. I may take him shed hunting though. I'm not into waterfowl and I do my turkey hunting in the spring. He is going to give me a good excuse to get in the woods more often though.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

labs make great dog very friendly and lots of energy
Old 12-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

Really, he's just going to be a pet. I may take him shed hunting though. I'm not into waterfowl and I do my turkey hunting in the spring. He is going to give me a good excuse to get in the woods more often though.
Be ready for the puppy stage. I raised Labs for hunting for years, they go through a chewing up everything in site stagefor almost two years.Patience Grasshopper!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

i have been wanting a new lab for a while now and i think i might have to take the plunge early next year
Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

Labs are great dogs don't get me wrong, but as stated I think their puppy stage is longer than any other dog. Betterup your home owners and make sureeverything thatyou may think is chewable is covered.Not to mention the things that he chews that you just sit and scratch your head and wonder "why in the hell would a dog want to chew the legs off of my sofa"...."all four of them in one day". [:'(] They also have WAY too much energy for me.

Beautiful pup though.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 AM

Congrats. Labs are great dogs. You need to channel that energy to constructive behavior when they are small. When the dog isn't under your direct supervision, he should be in the crate. No questions asked.

I'd suggest buying the book Puppy Preschool by John Ross.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DY7-TgAaQw4C&dq=puppy+preschool+book&pg=PP1&am p;ots=IjWQJeyGzE&sig=8s80-o_OeT_88DZ1rLTXn0b_O20&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3DPuppy%2Bpreschool%2Bbook%25 22&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPP1,M1

This one book will greatly simpify your life. It's an easy read and gives insight into how dogs think. If you follow it, you won't have destruction problem, house training problems, etc. It's a no brainer.

The great thing about Labs is they are good workers and eager to please. That is half the battle. Good luck with the new pooch.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

i have trained three great labs with the richard wolters books. best stuff ever. and they hunted everything from geese to upland birds.

Quick Reply: My New Hunting Buddy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.