Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Sleeping

Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Sleeping

Well Ive been hunting all day,and I had a pretty unique experience. I was looking around, wasn't seeing much, and then all of a sudden as I turned to my right, I could see a cape/chest of a deer but the rest of the body was behind a tree. So I watched it for a second and when he walked I realized he was a little basket racked 8 pointer. He was only about35 yards away from me. Well he was walking real slow and digging in the dirt with his nose, I couldn't figure out what he was doing and then he started walking right at me! He walked all the way til he was about 25 yards from me and then he just kneeled down and bedded there! I couldn't believe it...I literally said "Oh my god come on" Because I knew I was gonna be froze and not be able to move since he was looking straight at me while he was bedded. So anyways he laid there for about an hour and 45 minutes and I finally got to see a deer sleep. It was really neat because I had always wondered how they slept. He would close his eyes for about 10 minutes and you could see his head fall down and then he would wake up and look around for about 10 minutes, then would get sleepy again, close his eyes, and sleep for about 10 more minutes. He did that for the whole time he was there. I had to move and look around when he was sleeping, lol. When he wasn't I just stared at him and used him for my eyes. I got ahold of my dad on the radio when the buck was sleeping and told him I was pinned down and couldn't leave, so my dad gradually started walking to me and when he did the buck saw him, and I kid you not he ran so hard and so fast out of there and NEVER MADE A SINGLE NOISE- I was only about 25 yards from him and I never heard a leaf crunch. He was jumping over logs and running down hills, and he never even made a noise loud enough for me to hear from 25 yards away. Made me wonder how many deer have WALKED past me if he was running that hard and I couldn't even hear him when all my attention wason him. And he blended in absolutely amazing. Its really neat when you get to observe them for a while and learn their behavior. Today was a day when I definitely would have just preferred to watch him, it was just a different experience.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Sleeping

That's neat to see. I walked up to about50 yards on bedded 1-1/2 year buck this year. He was doing the same thing you talked about. I watched him for about 20 minutes or so then back tracked and took the long way out of the woodsso I wouldn't spook him. It was cool to see.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a buck bed down 14 yds away for 3:40 last year. His head was behind a tree, though...most of the time...so my movement wasn't an issue.

He only got up when some other deer entered later in the day. I also saw 4 sparring matches between 6 different little bucks, that day. It's still what I refr to as my greatest day afield......and I never shot anything.

Sounds like you had a great day. Congrats.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I had a buck bed down 14 yds away for 3:40 last year. His head was behind a tree, though...most of the time...so my movement wasn't an issue.

He only got up when some other deer entered later in the day. I also saw 4 sparring matches between 6 different little bucks, that day. It's still what I refr to as my greatest day afield......and I never shot anything.

Sounds like you had a great day. Congrats.
Yeah I know what ya mean, I think my best day in the woods was a morning this year when I saw around 30 deer. They were rutting like crazy, I think I saw something like 6 different bucks chasing different does. They were all grunting and going crazy!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

When he closed his eyes to sleep, I'd have drawn...
Old 11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had three does bed down no more than 10 yards from me this year...i was frozen!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

cool experience i once saw a video of a guy stalk a deer that was sleeping got to about 15 yards with its head drifting up and down as it slept for a few moments when he drew back and shot him.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

cool experience i once saw a video of a guy stalk a deer that was sleeping got to about 15 yards with its head drifting up and down as it slept for a few moments when he drew back and shot him.
Yeah I think you coulda crept up on this guy. He seemed pretty oblivious to everything around him when he would doze off. I supposed thats why they wake up every ten mins or so and are VERY alert when they do.

It's kinda funny how they learn what to tone out too, there were all kinds of birds and squirrels (and youknow how loud squirrels can be)right behind him and he ignored them like they weren't even there.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

thats a great story ive always wanted to catch a deer in its natural state like that

Quick Reply: Deer Sleeping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.